PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbee

RoyB
15-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi. I was made redundant a couple of years ago and due to poor health have had to retire early. I've not taken well to retirement but have hobbies that involve working with wood, however the dust is making my condition worse so now need to find an alternative. One of the things I do is scroll sawing and have quite a bit of experience cutting intricate items and have recently taken to cutting old coins with a hand saw to turn them into pendants and am really enjoying the process. I have seen a video about enamelling and am considering further investigation and will be asking lots of questions in the next few weeks as things progress. (the more I read the more confused I become, old age I'm afraid) :confused:
Many thanks for reading.
Roy

Goldsmith
15-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome to this forum Roy,

It's good to hear that you enjoy saw piercing, let me know if you want any tips as saw piercing is one of my skills.

James

Patstone
15-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Roy, welcome from me too.

lorraineflee
15-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi Roy, welcome from me as well!!

Lorraine

teatowell
15-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi Roy,
Can't wait to see some of the work you've been doing with the coins.
Tanya

RoyB
16-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I may take you up on your offer James as I've found working with metals is slightly different to cutting wood. Some coins are really hard to drill and cut so if you could advise on blade size that would be appreciated. The general rule with wood is to have 3 teeth to cover the thickness of the piece, is it similar for metal. I am currently using 4/0 blades. You are expecting too much of my computer skills Tanya if you are want photos of what I do. I have learned to email but the rest is mystery to me so I will have to wait until my 10 year grandson comes over to do anything like that. How sad is that!!
Thanks again
Roy

Goldsmith
16-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Roy,

I use Glardon Vallorbe saw blades,I would suggest buying a stock of sizes 4/0, 3/0, 2/0 for coin cutting. I would pierce out the large areas with a larger size blade and then change to a smaller blade for the delicate areas where nice sharp interior points are needed. Make sure that you are comfortable with your piercing position, I like to sit with my face about seven inches higher than the bench peg. Make sure that the bench peg is secure and does not move when you are piercing. Finally if you are not already doing so, try and pierce across the bench pin so that the saw frame is between 45 and 90 degrees to your eyeline.
To clean up any marks in the piercing I use small needle files that have had their backs ground down to give me sharp edges that reach into fine piercing.
I look forward to seeing your results.

James

sonia
16-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi Roy

welcome from me too.

Sonia
x