PDA

View Full Version : Resin Curing

TangerineDreams
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask a question but I had so much help with my last question I thought I would give it a try!

I work in an outside studio which gets very cold during the winter (its basically like a shed!) Ive been making things with resin in the summer which all worked well but I am worried now that the temperature is dropping my resin wont cure when I leave it overnight. Is it true that resin doesnt cure properly in cold temperatures? I will put a radiator on while I am in there working but cant leave it on overnight.

Any advice really appreciated!

Thanks
Antonia

Keia
05-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Antonia.
I've done quite a few projects involving resin, but all my projects have been on small pendants so they cure quicker. What size scale are you talking?
Usually, I set mine in the outside shed for around 8 hours. I then bring in indoors and set the project tray of resin items under my work lamp which disipates a low heat directed to the tray, helping them along the way.
Normally I keep all resin projects for the summer though because I'm so paranoid about the fumes etc, I only bring the tray inside when the resin is half hard and use the lamp to finish them off so they can be worked with that night.
I do remember reading somewhere to keep resin away from extremes of heat and cold, and they reccomended the gentle, even heat (which my lamp gives) to help with the curing process.

I found an information page that I hope will help you, it gives information about how to use resin in colder conditions.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/cold-temperature-bonding/

mizgeorge
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Are these the chemset resins?

If so, then they definitely like to cure in a warm place. I use the top of my Aga, but when I was taught by Clare John, we put our pieces on a food warmer (the sort with a couple of tealights at the bottom). Are you able to bring pieces indoors overnight?

TangerineDreams
05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Thank you for your help! I am making small items like pendants so they should cure ok! Good tip about using the top about the Aga, I will try and bring them in at night and try that!

Thank you again