PDA

View Full Version : Big, round bottoms

glowpear
02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Would someone be able to tell me what the technical expression would be for those larger of gemstones whose pavilions are cut rounded, rather than the usual, pointy cone shape? I am looking to source some nice, round bottomed stones to go in a bowl shaped setting and I can't seem to explain myself properly.
Thanks in advance!
Glowpear.

Dennis
02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I have used cabochons with pointed pavillions, but not seen the reverse. if you don't get an answer here, contact AE Ward http://www.aewgems.co.uk/. They are always ready to help. Dennis.

caroleallen
02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Were you meaning these http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/gemstone-cabochons-faceted-stones/faceted-top-gemstone-cabochons/

glowpear
03-10-2012, 07:13 AM

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I have attached a picture (I think..) of what I mean - the profile of the line between the girdle and culet have been curved and it is the depth, or roundness, of this curve that I am having trouble expressing. It is generally only found in larger stones. Thanks Carole for your suggestion of faceted cabochons - that could be a practical solution, as long as the flat aspect is attractive enough to act as the table and that the domed aspect is deep enough.

I am looking for mandarin garnets of this cut - I saw quite a few of them at a trade fair last year and I am just kicking myself for not having bought any.

I will keep hunting.
Thanks again!
Glowpear

springeth
03-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I quite like gempalace (http://www.etsy.com/shop/gempalace?section_id=7550332) on etsy for round-bottomed microfaceted stones - you might be able to find something from them?

Pauline
03-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Glowpear

I've only been faceting gems as a hobby for a number of months, but I think you might be referring to the style that is called "Rose Cut"

Google it for some pics. Apols if it isn't exactly what you meant.

glowpear
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out the gempalace and see if they have anything interesting. The trade fair I saw these stones at last year is taking place again in December so I can wait until then - I was just trying to do my research on prices as I am fairly new to garnets.

Thanks Pauline - I am no expert either but I believe a rose cut has no pavilion at all and is sort of flat underneath. Like Carole's suggestion it could work if I could get the crown height to be deep enough to invert and set upside down.

I've been in touch with Ward Gemstones and they are going to put their thinking caps on too. I have also taken pictures of a smoky quartz of this cut, as it may be clearer. The cut has a small crown height and a small culet, but a large, round pavilion.
Thanks again,
Glowpear

lilia
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Not any help at helping you locate the stone, however which trade fair are you referring to?

glowpear
03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi there Lilia - it is the Mineralienmesse in Hamburg, which is where I live. In case you're interested - mineralien-hamburg dot de (I can't post a URL apparently). It may be unfair as I am fairly new to Hamburg but it is the only decent source of quality gemstones I have found here and is tragically only once a year. The only shop I know with anything close to a selection is shamefully expensive - the lady in there earlier this week attempted to sell me a 5mm cabochon chalcedony the colour of old dish water for over a hundred quid!

silken
03-10-2012, 01:58 PM
These stones are quite popular at the moment and are mostly being marketed as rose cut cabochons, however, most have a completely flat table/base hence the categorisation as cabochons. Would your design call for the table to be faceted or not? You could try searching for something along the lines of a double table rose cut if it does or just go for a large rose cut cabochon if you don't mind the flat base. JoopyGems sells these both on etsy and on her website. She sells some beautiful 8mm hessonite garnet rose cuts.

www.joopygems.com/cabochons-and-rose-cuts/amethyst-purple/amethyst-cabochon-10mm-rose-cut-round/
www.joopygems.com/cabochons-and-rose-cuts/hessonite-garnet/hessonite-garnet-rose-cut-cabochon-8mm-round/

glowpear
03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks Silken! And apologies to Pauline - I now see what you meant. The issue really is that the stone would be set upside down (if it were a cabochon) so I was hoping for at least a small table (as with the quartz in the photo, which isn't cabochon) and it rather depends how attractive the base of the cabochon is. These are great though - I can always order a few and see how they look. I can always set them right side up at a later date if they don't work for this project.

glowpear
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
This is the sort of thing I'm aiming for, although my setting is rather different, the overall look was inspired by this photo. Thanks again for all the great ideas.
Glowpear

Pauline
03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
No probs!

I'm liking the design which inspired you.....plus, it's a fab colour! Glad you've had a load of suggestions

Dennis
03-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi there Lilia - it is the Mineralienmesse in Hamburg, which is where I live.

My experience in Germany is that there are shops selling gemstones at retail prices, when what you really need is gemstone dealers. Do consider going to Inhorgenta which is in Munich in February. The exhibition is huge and you will be able to stock up with unusual stones for the year. there are agents who will do a package with accommodation. Dennis.

glowpear
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks Dennis - I will definitely try and go next year - I've heard it's fabulous and thoroughly bankruptcy inducing :-)

glowpear
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi all,
I am not sure if anyone is really interested but I have just found a section on unusually cut stones in a reference book and the type of cut I was referring to is classified as a fancy cut and is either a flat top with step cut pavilions or a buff top with brilliant cut pavilion.
Now I know! Thanks for all the help.
Have a lovely weekend,
Glowpear.