PDA

View Full Version : bifocals for myopic jewellers?

gary
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi

Hope this question is not too mad...

I wondered if anyone uses bifocals with very close up and something like a normal reading prescription for jewellery making? I find myself changing glasses, using magnifying glass etc so often I can barely concentrate on what I am doing. My eyes have got worse recently and I am looking for some advice from someone who may have had the problem long enough to have a comfortable solution... any advise would be gratefully received.

thanks

Goldsmith
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Gary,
I go to Specsavers and buy cheap close focusing readers to my prescription, usually on their two for one deals. Just tell them how close you want to focus. Then if I want to magnify I use an Optiviser over the specs; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Optivisor-3.5x-No10-prcode-999-234

James

Patstone
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I use a headband magnifier with two different lenses, one you can flip up out of the way or use both together for closer work with glasses underneath. The lenses on the headband are removable and they supply 5 different strengths.

Wallace
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
on the pavé and channel stone setting course, Mr Tigg had his lenses made to specification at the optitians. He had them done with the dioptre set so that his eyes did not become fatigued (like those of an optivisor) He said they cost him about £50 and that he asked them specifically to do the lenses for his work up close with setting stones. He didn't wear glasses otherwise.

I use optisight and optivisor, but still am thinking about going for something more portable and space saving.

mizgeorge
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Having failed miserably with varifocals, which are all the wrong focal distances for me, I'm having a pair of old fashioned bifocals (with the line across) made for me, which will have the top 5/8 to my normal everyday prescription (so I can walk around, see a computer screen, watch tv etc without feeling nauseous) and the bottom 3/8 with a slightly higher strength reading prescription than I actually need. My optician and I are both optimistic...

Wallace
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
My optician and I are both optimistic...

LOL xxx sounds like a plan :D

Dennis
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
One thing we're all agreed then is that varifocals are useless for jewellery making and you need reading glasses with a headband magnifyer, or an expensive prescription job. In any case you are condemned forever to tripping over the cat. Dennis.

susieq
02-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I love my varifocals although I do take them off for close jewellery work and to wear my 2 x optivisor. Unfortunately Dennis, I don't think I can blame them for being useless ... Susie

art925
03-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I also have no problems with my varifocals and use a magifying lamp over the bench, I can't get on with additional headgear.

gary
03-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Well I am delighted with such a informative response. I am new to jewellery and did not realise the options available, I have much to research; I think ill start with the close up prescription on some larger frames than what I have, then analyse my needs as i check out the things mentioned...

excellent thanks to all..

medusa
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I went the large frame prescription magnifier route and regretted it. When I get some time/money I'm going to go for narrower frames so I can peer over the tops of them.

caroleallen
04-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I've got a pair of these http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Eschenbach-MaxDetail-Spectacles-Clip/115741?pos=30

I didn't like them at first but I used them today with a magnifier light and managed to see amazing detail when setting a diamond. My optivisor just didn't hack it.

Tabby66
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I've got a pair of these http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Eschenbach-MaxDetail-Spectacles-Clip/115741?pos=30

I didn't like them at first but I used them today with a magnifier light and managed to see amazing detail when setting a diamond. My optivisor just didn't hack it.

Wow Carole, those will be on my list for future use, I'm currently making my way up the optivisor magnification scale!!

Are you at Desire Winchester in November?? I think I saw your name on the list of exhibitors :)

caroleallen
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
No, I'm not at Desire. I'm only doing Crowthorn with Crafts in Focus this year.

Tabby66
05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
No, I'm not at Desire. I'm only doing Crowthorn with Crafts in Focus this year.

Aaaw! I was hoping you were,....I've convinced my hubby to have a night away in Winchester the weekend of Desire ;D I was hoping I might eventually meet you!!

Good luck with Crowthorn! xx

Wallace
06-10-2012, 08:28 AM

It is good to hear they work, would love to see the results. X

caroleallen
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Got to get them photographed Wallace and then if I'm happy, I'll show them. Trouble with photographing stuff is that if looks OK with the naked eye but the photos show every defect!

Gold Girl
01-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I've got a pair of these Eschenbach-MaxDetail-Spectacles-Clip

Wow Carole your clip on magnifier looks great, I have used the optivisor over my glasses but to be honest didn't like what it does to my hair. When we are back at work after the holiday I'll show our lab guy who has lots of different apparatus in a cupboard; which tells me he also struggles. Thanks

mizgeorge
01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I should have posted this sooner - but you can get these (and the non clip versions too) in the UK, here (http://associatedoptical.com/eschenbach_hands_free_magnifiers)

caroleallen
01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Santa got me these this year http://www.riogrande.com/Product/CraftOptics-2X-Telescopes-with-20-Magnification-Bifocals-Black/115745?pos=56

I've yet to get them made up to my prescription but I'm looking forward to being able to sit in a more upright position and not be straining my neck all the time.

ps_bond
01-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Those are a considerably nicer price than the Zeiss surgeon's loupes I keep seeing recommended; one of the downsides to using the 'scope is the working distance underneath it isn't all that massive, even with the x0.5 lens on the objective.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with them.