PDA

View Full Version : Approaching shops/galleries?

Charlotte
11-08-2009, 07:01 AM
This is yet another part of the jewellery world which I have improvised, I have tried several different angles, but I think I will try sending a disk (of images) and a letter next time and see how that fares. How does everyone else approach shops/galleries?? What is the most professional way??:confused:

bustagasket
11-08-2009, 07:33 AM
this is a very good question for wen i can do more :)

caroleallen
11-08-2009, 07:52 AM
When you do a lot of shows some galleries will approach you, which makes life a lot easier. I hate approaching galleries myself.

Di Sandland
11-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Jewellery is very competitive and I think the photogallery on disk is an excellent idea. I have to admit that it was my husband who approached galleries on behalv with my wood - I don't have the confidence in my work. Without fail the galleries were kind and any criticism was constructive. In the event I was only turned down by one gallery and that was because their stuff was more 'high' art.

Some galleries will ask that you work on a rota basis and will display your work 'free.' I did this in a local gallery, working every other Saturday. For some folk this could work quite well - especially if you don't have a full time job.

kymbi
11-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I've not yet managed to approach any galleries or shops because I am just too scared. Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years, but the thought of walking into a shop or gallery just fills me with fear =:-O

Any tips gratefully received...

bustagasket
11-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I've not yet managed to approach any galleries or shops because I am just too scared. Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years, but the thought of walking into a shop or gallery just fills me with fear =:-O

Any tips gratefully received...

Braver than me i am scared of selling full stop lol

Atelier Ava
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I think they are two different markets, shops or galleries. Galleries are generally but not all a 'selection' process and shops are take it on if they like it. When looking for new shops I go and have a wander round an area and if I find a shop I like I hang around in it for a while to see what the staff, stock and general feel of the place is. If I think it would be a good mutual relationship I then approach them and ask them if they are interested, making an appointment to go back. I have been into many shops where the 'feel' is just not right. The best way is to decide where your designs will fit best and have a chance of selling the most. There are 'professional' ways that can be very expensive ie; jewellery fairs and they are good as mentioned for people coming to you but there is no guarantee that you will sell anything. The professionalism comes with business cards, stock numbers, delivery notes, consistant pricing and invoices.
Paula

caroleallen
11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Don't be scared. Any gallery that you'd like to be in (ie friendly) would be kind and either let you down gently or take your stuff. Ask around to find friendly galleries. I've only ever been turned down by one gallery and they were very nice about it.

Coco
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't know why because I've managed to sell my jewellery in Greenwich craft market 2 days a week for 4 years,

Ooh, that sounds really fun - kinda scary though. Does it get really crowded in Greenwich market?

AlexandraBuckle
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
If I am able to pop in, I'll go maybe wearing a couple of pieces to quickly show them, if they like the pieces I make an appointment to go back with more work.

If there is no chance of me getting to the gallery/shop, I give them a ring to see how they prefer work to be submitted.
They normally ask to be emailed a few photos and prices.
You may have to follow up with another call as they might not get back to you otherwise.

Generally I've found people very approachable and polite - there is nothing to be scared about really. They seem to genuinely enjoy looking at the work.

kymbi
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Ooh, that sounds really fun - kinda scary though. Does it get really crowded in Greenwich market?

It's heaving on Sundays, but I usually work every Friday and Saturday and only the occasional Sunday which isn't so bad. It can be fun, but it's hard work and a long day, especially when it's one where the traders outnumber the customers.

EmmaRose
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Just don't turn up in a gallery on spec. Some prefer printed material...perhaps send them a couple of postcards that they can look at quickly with a price scale to see if your work fits. Then do a follow up call and ask if you can make an appointment to show them your work.....
make sure you have a wholesale price list ready, be aware most galleries now work on sale or return......be aware it is not unknown for galleries to go bust and you not get your stock back or payment (like Jesse James)
Emma

Petal
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi All,

I've been approached by a friend of a friend, who is setting up a new shop and is interested in selling my jewellery. =:-O To say I'm a bit unsure is an understatement!

How on earth do I go about this and are there any other pitfalls that might not have been covered before, that anyone could mention. I normally just use silver oval labels on my jewellery, use organza bags and boxes for my more expensive pieces. The first thing I can think of is that before I def. confirm, I'd like to go and have a look, but first they will pop round to view my stuff.

Any tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated :feedback:

thanks
Julesx

CyberPaddy66
04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
1st thing to figure out is how you are going to charge for your pieces, are they going to sell for your price and then pay you a discounted range or are you going to rent space in their shop and you get all the money your pieces make?

If your not sure of selling constantly then the discounted way might be best but renting space has some appeal as you know for sure you get all the profit but if you don't sell anything that months the space costs you in rent... it's not a guarenteed method but it is the one that's easiest to budget for in my opinion.

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Jules, you need to come up with a wholesale price for your pieces - one that still makes you enough profit, and ask them to buy them in.

Sale or return/shelf space is a nightmare. You have no guarantee how well they will care for or display pieces, very little comeback if they are 'lost', and none at all if they stop trading for any reason.

If somebody likes your jewellery enough to want to sell it, then they should be happy to buy it, and pay for it up front. That's a very basic premise. Once they own it, it's up to them how they chose to price, label and package things. If you use 'branded' boxes, you may wish to supply these, simply for the extra publicity.

Imagine if any other sort of store were to try this approach!

The exception to this is if you can get pieces into a good gallery, where all artists are treated alike, or if you have a cabinet (or similar) in a good salon etc. These are far more under your control, and are generally experienced in working this way - no different to any of the big selling sites.

Good luck!

Petal
04-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Hiya George,
I'd also pm'd you too.... that's very useful stuff and I'll keep all that in mind.

cheers
Jules x

AlexandraBuckle
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
V.Good advice MzG :Y:

A lot of galleries I have encounterd lately have asked me to pay a monthly fee to exhibit my work in them. Like taking the SOR model and making it even more risk to the artist!

EmmaRose
05-09-2009, 02:57 PM
don't worry about packaging most galleries supply their own.
Em