PDA

View Full Version : Buffing & Polishing

ConfusedHJ
24-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I am making pendants using sterling silver sheet metal, a piercing saw etc, I am having trouble buffing and polishing to a high mirror shine. I am using 200-2000 grit sandpaper and jewellers rogue with a dremel tool with a cotton mop. I have followed endless steps online and watched literally every video on youtube on how to do this and following the steps exactly.... and it still isnt working! All that is happening is my piece is turning matte, it is smooth with no scratches... but matte.... it is 80% less shiny than before I started. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

mizgeorge
24-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Well I'd just give exactly the same answer I've already given you on another forum, which you don't seem to have come back to.

I'd also say the same thing about popping in to the introductions section ;)

medusa
24-09-2012, 07:17 PM
meeeow!

Got a link to the first answer you gave?

Dennis
24-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure what advice George has already given you, but knowing her it was the real McCoy. My guess is she will have advised radial disks for your Dreml and going up the grades with a light touch will be your answer, even if you miss a few inbetweens for economy. Put Radial disks into our search box top right and you will find what we have said about them . Dennis.

mizgeorge
24-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Actually, Dennis, I hadn't even got to radial discs in my original reply, as I was trying to help confused with the materials he/she already had.

I've never understood, though, how new members can ask a question on two separate forums (without introducing themselves on either), and then not bother to come back to see if there have been any replies. Whenever I've asked something, I can't wait to come back to see if anyone's been able to help.

Dennis
24-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I know George: people think we're genies and they just have to rub our lamps.........

Cerflun Designs
17-10-2012, 05:27 PM
*rubs George and Dennis's lamps*

Hello again! You have, at least, helped me out with the same question, so thanks for that. Can I be cheeky and ask what RPM or No. setting on the pendant motor should be used with the said radial disks, please? I have a Dremel 4000 (when it arrives) and some rather careless scratches on a pendant from when I was doing the rubovers.

Diolch yn fawr :~:

Vikki

mizgeorge
17-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I believe the maximum operating speed for these is 30,000 rpm. I use a pendant motor which doesn't have a speed gauge, and happily use these at whatever speed the piece seems to need!

Cerflun Designs
17-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I believe the maximum operating speed for these is 30,000 rpm. I use a pendant motor which doesn't have a speed gauge, and happily use these at whatever speed the piece seems to need!

Thanks, George 0:-)

I'm currently glaring at my radial disks whilst they're sniggering at me, going "see, we told you that you'd need us one day!" LOL! #-o

I have a habit of hoarding things that I don't actually need at that time, because they're on sale and "I might need them one day". Hey, this means I can gloat at my husband and do the "I told you so" dance à la Will&Grace. Yaye! :dance:

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. I shall attempt as soon as my new Dremel arrives (the other being dead since my daughter threw it down the stairs)

Dennis
17-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Glad you're taking all this repartee in good part, Vikki. The only thing I would add is that the slower your machine (within reason) and the lighter your pressure, the longer your gadgets will last.

It is also possible to vary the number of disks on your mandrel according to size of area.

Now here's another thing to think about: Micro Mesh. This is a fabric backed abrasive like emery cloth, but comes so fine that you can get a blinding shine on flat surfaces with little or no mess. As before, a small assortment will convince you, say grit 3600, 6000, 8000 and 12000 . Just Google it. Dennis.

Cerflun Designs
18-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, George & Dennis. My Dremel arrived today, courtesy of the wonderful Georgia, so I shall try the radials tomorrow.

I'm also going to look at the Micro Mesh, Dennis, as they sound just what I need on a few pieces I have to get that mirror shine. Also, a BIG thanks for the words of wisdom re: motor speed etc. I shall definitely bear that in mind and have stuck a large notice on my workstation. I couldn't afford to replace the Dremel, so it's now taken up the status of Newborn Baby in the handling dept ;-D

Hope I haven't bored you too much.

Eternally grateful, Vikki :-)

Cerflun Designs
31-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that it worked beautifully. Thank you both so much for your help. My radials are now my new best friends :-D

snow_imp
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Thank you for all the advice on this thread. Last week I invested in a nice Dremel 3000 and have got some of the radial discs - now I just need to try them out!