PDA

View Full Version : Metal clay question

jille
12-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Hello, my apologies for not being around much recently, things get in the way sometimes.
I'm using metal clay more these days as it's easier on the hands.
I would like to know if it's ok to use the same tools, moulds and texture sheets for copper and silver clays, so long as they are washed first.
I'd hate to contaminate my silver though.
thanks

Kwant
12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
If you do go to the trouble of washing everything then I cannot see a reason why you should not use the same things for all types of clay. I would not perhaps use the same polishing materials though just in case, files,papers,discs, brushes etc as they could not be washed.

jille
12-09-2012, 11:15 AM
That's what i thought, i use my cutters and texture mats for ceramic clay as well so they get well used

jille
12-09-2012, 02:19 PM
got another question as I've just been playing with my clay. It seemed that no matter how much I worked it, or moistened it I got fine cracks on rolling, why?

Kwant
12-09-2012, 02:26 PM
If it has dried out a little it is best to moisten it then leave it wrapped in cling film overnight before conditioning it or working it as you say. The moisture really needs to get right through the clay and I have found that to be the best way, dampen it wrap in a tiny piece of just damp kitchen roll then in cling film and leave. The following day with a little grease on your fingers (badger balm) work the clay briefly (it dries so quickly being handled too much) before rolling and see if that sorts your problem.

jille
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tips, it has been a while since I used silver clay and I didn't have that problem last time. So I need to be patient and let the water soak in overnight.
Thanks again

MeadMoon
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I always put a drop of water inside the sealed packet (but not inside the plastic that the clay is wrapped in) to help maintain the humidity after using some, but not all, the clay in a session.

wifey1612
13-09-2012, 01:38 AM
I put a dampened make up sponge in the packet to keep it moist ;-)

jille
13-09-2012, 06:44 AM
I'm sure I replied to Elaine yesterday but it's gone, so thanks for the moisture tips ladies.
I have a group of NWR ladies who come to do something crafty every year, so yesterday I wanted to see what you could do with half a 7g pack of clay. I needed a bit more, 4g for the cockle shell, so I think maybe I need to find a smaller shell

Kwant
13-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I made some shell elements just last week, these were about as small as I could get 2.32g for the largest one and 1.1g for the slim pointy one:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7982131264_b73a4d7e14.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12340604@N02/7982131264/)
Fine silver shells (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12340604@N02/7982131264/) by kwant (http://www.flickr.com/people/12340604@N02/), on Flickr

jille
13-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Those look great, I have some similar shell moulds myself, I've been making them with copper, I might have to try out the small pointy one but some of the ladies said they particularly liked the cockle. I have a stash of shells but can't think where they are.
Does copper and silver weigh roughly the same, that would save me a task as I have the weighs of the copper ones already.

Kwant
13-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I believe silver is more dense.

We are ten minutes from the beach but the only shells there are mussels, luckily there is a little maritime museum with a gift shop, six shells of your choice for a euro :0) Squished into Fimo half an hour later nice little moulds.

Sweetpeagreen
23-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Hello. I'm new to this forum, and no matter how hard I try I can't find where to start a new thread! So sorry for gatecrashing this one :( but I'm desperate for some advice.

I bought the Kate McKinnon book 'Sculptural Metal Clay' and followed the instructions in there that advise using 1mm+ fine silver wire imbedded into wet clay to create findings etc. I fired a test piece that had 1mm piece of wire imbedded into it, but the whole thing melted. I was a new kiln and the digital display didn't seem to be working properly so I returned it for a replacement. I tested the new kiln today, it seems to be holding the temperature correctly. As Kate McKinnon advised I set the kiln to 899c, and I fired a piece of 1mm and a piece of 2mm fine silver wire to test it. Within 30 mins both pieces were completely melted!

I don't know what I am doing wrong? I've read elsewhere that others imbed fine silver wire into their clay with no problems...please help! I really don't know what to try or what is causing the problem! Thank you :ta: