PDA

View Full Version : Nickel silver

DaisyDaisy
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me anything about nickel silver (in particular nickel silver stamping blanks)? I know nickel isn't allowed in jewellery in the UK but what exactly is nickel silver? It's not something I use or ever plan on using but I just wondered if someone could give me an answer to my questions.

Many thanks :)

Goldsmith
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Nickel silver sometimes known as German silver is a white metal alloy of 60% copper 20% nickel and 20% zinc. It was commonly used in making cutlery and other tableware, usually marked as EPNS, electro plated nickel silver. Items were made from nickel silver and then silver plated. Some coins were also made of this alloy in the past. In my youth we used German/nickel silver for making brooch pins as it was easier to harden than silver. This metal was good for making silver plated cutlery as the prongs on the forks were tough and did not bend easily.

James

Kwant
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
It is an alloy of copper and nickel, and has no silver in at all, it is what I believe a lot of British coinage was made of and indeed still may be. A quick look on google says it is sometimes known as German silver, still having no silver in it, though it sometimes does have zinc in by all accounts. It is called "silver" due to its silvery appearance, much as you would see in a sixpence, though not a real silver sixpence as used to be made. :0)

DaisyDaisy
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks very much for the responses.

So is it legal to sell jewellery made from it in the UK?

Kwant
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry James we cross posted, but I have to say or at least quote "I know nickel isn't allowed in jewellery in the UK" Daisy have you not answered your own question in that respect?

DaisyDaisy
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I know I kind of answered my own question but I just really wanted clarification and for someone to confirm it for me :) I wasn't sure what sort of percentage of nickel would be in nickel silver and if it would be allowed.

Kwant
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.teg.co.uk/nickel/94-27-EC.htm

would have been quicker but was just having my dinner :0) now off to watch a film while I digest.

DaisyDaisy
04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
That's very helpful, thank you very much :)

pearlescence
04-09-2012, 07:21 AM
There are no rules against nickel in America, which means you have to be very careful if you buy findings from there - they often put a layer of nickel between the gold and the silver in vermeil, for example as well as simply into .925