PDA

View Full Version : Stone Setting Vid

Di Sandland
02-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I just love this

http://youtu.be/kenDTvkAd7k

Dennis
03-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Thank you Di, I could watch that over and over, but do it - never. Dennis.

Dennis
04-09-2012, 03:57 AM
I don’t often get a chance to see a bench jeweller at work, so I could watch this ‘til well, ‘til the cows come home.
But unlike show and tells, where it is usual not to criticise, here is an opportunity for discussing the construction and the design features, and unless Mr Woodward is Di’s uncle, hopefully without hurting any ones feelings.

First of all the double gallery serves the purpose of accommodating the pavilion of the stone and gives a three dimensional appearance to the pendant. But I find the scallops over-elaborate and feel a plain edge would look more modern.

Secondly I think the pearls rather overwhelm the delicate amethyst, so I would go for the next smaller size.

Lastly I hate the bail with a passion. It adds nothing to the design and I would arrange to pass the chain between the two layers at the back.

There’s lots more, particularly about the method of construction; would you jewellers out there like to join in?
Dennis.

Patstone
04-09-2012, 05:05 AM
Yes I am with you Dennis, its far too elaborate, for my taste anyway. Not a great lover of pearls, so I would have left them out anyway, the beauty of the stone is enough without all the claptrap of fancy settings. I was quite impressed on the way he made the bezel the right shape to suit the stone (tools I am talking about), and the thing he held the bezel with while he was sanding it, but I suppose thats experience coming through, something I dont have yet. I couldnt be bothered to go to those lengths to set a stone, even if I had the skill, its far too time consuming. Simpler is definately better in this case.
P.S Glad someone else is up early, I thought it was just me, it was so still at 4.30 this morning I thought I was the only one alive.

caroleallen
04-09-2012, 06:38 AM
It's not the sort of thing I would wear but I think the design works fine. Without the scallops it would all look too solid. I don't know anything about setting pearls but thought they should always have a peg, so was surprised that they were just glued in. It was a fascinating watch though. Thanks Di.

Kwant
04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the man at work, but then I always like watching others work :0)

I did in fact like the bail, not on the piece but as an idea, and in fact made one myself immediately to see how it looked. It is the kind of bail that would suit some of my heavier mineral cabochon pieces.

The other thing I found useful, though in fact had done it myself just the other day, was the gluing of two pieces together to get them equal, in my case I was just filing them to the same size, but now see that it is also excellent for sawing identical shapes, earrings for example.

As far as the piece as a whole goes, hmmm not to my taste at all, I found it to be too old fashioned and fussy. Remarkable work all the same and some interesting techniques, which I feel I could certainly try.

solitarysmagick
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
wow, that is amazing.. the link does not work on my iphone so I've been waiting ages to watch it on my laptop, and wasn't disappointed!

I'm not a fan of pearls myself, I'd have prefered some small faceted stones but the piece is still stunning and I can only hope to be that good one day!

Di Sandland
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I actually hate the design with a vengeance - really not me at all - but I watched it (once, twice, thrice) in fascination and awe.

lilacmonkey
05-09-2012, 07:49 PM
that was a great watch...

Kwant
05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
hmm it wasn't a watch it was a pendant :0)

Tabby66
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Really enjoyed that!!

Wallace
05-09-2012, 10:13 PM
apart from the pearls, the stone and the setting, I love it!

LydiaNiz
06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I may have died a bit of gorilla-fingered-klutz jealousy...

Didi
15-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi there. Loved the vid. The piece is too fussy for me but it's fascinating watching the construction. I've never tried claw settings,always been too scared, ir seems to be all about accuracy. One thing though, I'm certain I would get the whole thing covered in fire stain because of all the heating.
Didi