PDA

View Full Version : Pierced design, now how do I proceed...?

Wee Beastie
30-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Hello

I have a delicate pierced out pattern which I am unsure how to neaten. There are alot of pierced out, narrow sections which look...well....nibbled, for lack of a better word (where the saw blade has dug in to the corners very slightly etc). It looks unprofessional and I don't know what tool is best suited to tidy it all up. After reading various posts I was wondering if using a barrel polisher would round the edges off enough to rectify the problem? Any advice or ideas would be very welcome! It's driving me nuts. (I know a picture would probably be helpful but I'm not sure how to post one and I don't have any images online to link to.)

Nicky

Kwant
30-08-2012, 07:41 PM
A tumbler would definitely help, but so too would diamond burrs such as these http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Diamond-Burrs-Set-Of-20-prcode-999-6387 to smooth out tiny nooks and crannies, and then tumble.

Petal
30-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I've also heard others say that a (hand held) saw blade can often be used to smooth out those tiny nooks and crannies.

Dennis
30-08-2012, 09:31 PM
As Jules says, a saw blade, but you do not need to hold it in your hand: just turn it 'teeth up' in your frame. It will file as you pull down.

You can also find tiny file sets such as this online or in pound shops.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-Mini-File-Pouch/dp/B002HMOHN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346361648&sr=8-1

The more you can perfect your work before polishing or tumbling, the better the result. If your piercing is jagged, perhaps you could use a finer blade next time? Dennis.

Goldsmith
31-08-2012, 07:35 AM
As others have said, some piercing can be smoothed out using a piercing saw, but for a really good finish needle files are the answer. I have some old fine needle files that I have shaped on a grinder to fit into those awkward pierced out areas that need cleaning.
If you are getting lots of unclean pierced lines then you may be using the wrong size of saw blade for the design. Piercing needs plenty of practice, when you perfect your techniques the only filing work would be to clean off any cut lines of the pierced edge.
Tumbling will not tidy up unclean piercing.
James

Some of my piercing,

Wee Beastie
31-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! My problem was stupidly persisting with saw blades that were too large, which then caused the teeth to jump into the metal, so finer blades are in my cookies basket ready to buy. I've been using diamond burrs, but then i have to get rid of the diamond burr finish! My needle files are too big to fit in most of the pierced sections, but I shall look and see if I can get even finer ones. I will try the upside-down saw blade next, but I wont be touching the pieces until I get the finer blades first.

James - your pieces are beautiful! Would you mind if I asked a) typically, what size are the pieces that you pierce (they're do delicate!), and b) do you find the saw (concept saw?) is a good investment if piercing is going to be a big part of my work?

Thanks again everyone,

Nicky

Goldsmith
31-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! My problem was stupidly persisting with saw blades that were too large, which then caused the teeth to jump into the metal, so finer blades are in my cookies basket ready to buy. I've been using diamond burrs, but then i have to get rid of the diamond burr finish! My needle files are too big to fit in most of the pierced sections, but I shall look and see if I can get even finer ones. I will try the upside-down saw blade next, but I wont be touching the pieces until I get the finer blades first.

James - your pieces are beautiful! Would you mind if I asked a) typically, what size are the pieces that you pierce (they're do delicate!), and b) do you find the saw (concept saw?) is a good investment if piercing is going to be a big part of my work?

Thanks again everyone,

Nicky

Hi Nicky, That bowl was 5 inches diameter, I use Grobet Vallorbe saw blades and I also have all sizes of the Knew Concept saw frames. A lot of my piercing work has been large pieces that can take hours of piercing, imagine piercing 3000 shaped holes in something that is 10 inches diameter.
I like the Knew Concept frames because they are much lighter than standard steel saw frames. If you are just starting out then my advice is to buy the best tools you can afford.

Do show us your creations when you can. Take a look at My Creations Album on my profile page and you can see some more of my work if your interested.

James

Wee Beastie
31-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks James for the info. Piercing out 3000 shapes on one piece?....wow. I expect you would be forced to get good with a saw pretty darn quick doing work like that :). Your pieces are amazing! I can't imagine the work involved in making them.
Shall post a pic when I can.
Nicky

josef1
31-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure if it will help but if you cut some cloth backed emery paper with a scalpel and steel rule into very very thin strips you can use this like dental floss to clean up where you can get in it wears quickly but you get loads of strips out of a peice