PDA

View Full Version : Genesis of an Idea

Di Sandland
20-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I thought it might help the other beginners amongst us if I documented my progress with this idea that has been keeping me awake at night! I am starting work on it today.

So - my thoughts are based around a local beach; Putsborough. I've been playing with colour, now I want to add shape into the mix, whilst at the same time working in a new (for me) discipline - PMC.

Here's the picture I'm working from. Strangely, I took this photo long before we moved to live here. We lived just outside Luton at the time and I would look at this image and plan my life in Devon. I got the life in Devon, just not the chocolate box one I had so fondly imagined ;) My next move is to trace this onto template paper and play around with the shapes; always bearing in mind things like connections and findings.

bustagasket
20-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I shall enjoy watching this develop Di, thank you :)

julie
20-08-2009, 01:31 PM
lovely photo to work from ...

Lindyloo
20-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I can see some beautiful curves developing....

The Dragon
20-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Fab idea there's so much you can take from that picture. Working with PMC is good too. It lends itself to mixed media so well you can create almost anything you can imagine, can't wait to see what you come up with.:D

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, I didn't get to play yesterday as number one son came home - together with his washing :-()

This morning though I started to play with ideas for my first silver clay piece. I'm intent on using colour but I thought perhaps that I should learn to walk before I run a marathon, so I'm starting simple.

Anyway, here are some pics of the work soon to be in progress. I have enough ideas for at least four pieces before I even start thinking about colour. I am thinking about adding a touch of gold though, thin lines just for the curves. Not sure how to go about that - can't afford gold clay atm. Have some gold leaf though. Will think on.

This is just the start - there's so much potential in this photograph that its scary!

bustagasket
21-08-2009, 12:00 PM
from little acorns do mighty oaks grow :D

The Bijou Dragon
21-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Ooh that is shaping up to be very interesting indeed. I love seeing how people use natural inspiration for designs, they somehow feel very soulful!

The Dragon
21-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can use a gold glaze on PMC or how about using crushed mineal accents, I think the man made ones an be fired in situ, they can give the most wonderful effect.

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can use a gold glaze on PMC or how about using crushed mineal accents, I think the man made ones an be fired in situ, they can give the most wonderful effect.

Cheers Annie - will check those out. There is so much mileage in just that one picture. I've almost filled my journal, which has been on the go for years!

MuranoSilver
22-08-2009, 08:06 AM
You could Keum Bo it :) or you could use gold in the recess instead and use resin or enamel. OR you could use brass wire and wire it inset in the clay then file back so it was showing....

Oooh the possiblilties!
nicx

Di Sandland
22-08-2009, 08:39 AM
I know Nic - its quite scary!

bustagasket
22-08-2009, 08:45 AM
You could Keum Bo it :) or you could use gold in the recess instead and use resin or enamel. OR you could use brass wire and wire it inset in the clay then file back so it was showing....

Oooh the possiblilties!
nicx

Swearing again nic? Tut Tut[-X:-"

Di Sandland
22-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Okay, Nic, bearing in mind that I'm confined to a torch (I'm badgering for a kiln but it might be some time) - what are the possibilities of embedding copper? I know that copper is a marvellous heat conductor - do you think that would wreck the silver clay?

And Keum Bo - that needs a kiln too, doesn't it. I'm wondering if the finished silver could be gilded using 'traditional' methods because, of course, I have all the equipment for that particular discipline (having once gilded a wooden toilet seat - least said soonest mended)

bustagasket
22-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I have all the equipment for that particular discipline (having once gilded a wooden toilet seat - least said soonest mended)

[-XNo No No NO you cannot say something like that and not expect us to know how on earth you came about guilding a wooden toilet seat lmao:rofl:

MuranoSilver
22-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Okay, Nic, bearing in mind that I'm confined to a torch (I'm badgering for a kiln but it might be some time) - what are the possibilities of embedding copper? I know that copper is a marvellous heat conductor - do you think that would wreck the silver clay?

And Keum Bo - that needs a kiln too, doesn't it. I'm wondering if the finished silver could be gilded using 'traditional' methods because, of course, I have all the equipment for that particular discipline (having once gilded a wooden toilet seat - least said soonest mended)

Not tried with copper but you could probably embed the copper (just below the surface of the clay) and sand back to it :)
Give it a go!

Thanks for the image of your "royal throne" :-D
Nic x

Di Sandland
22-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Initially I did actually keep a cheap kids' tiara by it - then the gilding wore off and it looks more like a down at heel public lav now :">

Will try the copper embedding this weekend and let you all see the results - good or bad ;)

bustagasket
22-08-2009, 01:05 PM
no wonder she was writing about bathrooms lol

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 11:21 AM
keum boo can be done with a hotplate or gas hob. there are also electroplating pens and solutions you can use.....great idea for threads, design development
Em :Y:

Di Sandland
25-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks Em - I've been kept away from the piece since Friday. tomorrow is spoken for too. Thursday, tho, is earmarked for playday - I'll post the results

The Dragon
25-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Look forward to it, it's almost as if all of you are working in the next studio to mine.That's what I love about this forum - no egos - it's just encouragement & inspiration.

Long may it last!

[[]]

sharonb
26-08-2009, 12:29 AM

I've done keum bo with sterling silver and a torch. just gentle heat on a wig and burnisher - sorry to be so inexact, but it was a while ago! I'm sure if you google it it would come up

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for that Sharon - Thursday is d-day for a few experiments. Nothing ventured, nothing gained =:-O