PDA

View Full Version : Engraving

solitarysmagick
23-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I would like to learn how to engrave silver but I'm not sure what tools I would need and how to go about it. Does anyone know of any good books or online tutorials?

Thanks,

Rachael x

Goldsmith
24-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I would like to learn how to engrave silver but I'm not sure what tools I would need and how to go about it. Does anyone know of any good books or online tutorials?

Thanks,

Rachael x

Check out this book Rachael; http://www.cooksongold.com/Books/Engraving-On-Precious-Metals-By-A.-Brittain---P.-Morton-Book-prcode-999-AMP
It tells you most of what you need to know and what tools to buy. Then it's practice,practice and more practice. I used sheets of copper as practice plates for engraving.
Good luck,
James

solitarysmagick
24-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks James, I'll give it a read :) I have plenty of copper sheet to practice on :)

Goldsmith
24-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks James, I'll give it a read :) I have plenty of copper sheet to practice on :)

I didn't much care for letter engraving,most of my engraving has been engraving patterns for my saw piercing and when carving crests.
But way back in my youth I did enjoy engraving pictures, like these shown below, just engraved on scraps of copper. Both done over 40 years ago.
James

solitarysmagick
24-08-2012, 10:30 AM
wow, they are stunning James :) I don't think mine will be up to that standard, but I'm more interested in doing patterns /images rather than letter work too. I have an idea for an Egyptian style piece that I'd like to engrave an image of Isis on to so I need to get some practice in :)

josef1
24-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Make sure you keep the gravers nice and sharp diamond sharpening stones are great for this try and get one with different grades on each side,also read up on gravers its important to make them the correct angle/correct heel for what you want to cut. I prefere brass to practice on I found copper a bit sticky but that may be just me. Also make sure your work is very well secured, gravers cut flesh much quicker than metal !

solitarysmagick
24-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Make sure you keep the gravers nice and sharp diamond sharpening stones are great for this try and get one with different grades on each side,also read up on gravers its important to make them the correct angle/correct heel for what you want to cut. I prefere brass to practice on I found copper a bit sticky but that may be just me. Also make sure your work is very well secured, gravers cut flesh much quicker than metal !

thank you, I'll keep that in mind. My fiance is a knifemaker and has all sorts of sharpening tools so I'll leave that job to him :)

ps_bond
24-08-2012, 01:40 PM
My fiance is a knifemaker and has all sorts of sharpening tools so I'll leave that job to him :)

Is he now? Small world :D Engraving is a skill that can go well with knifemaking, depending upon his style of knives - anything with bolsters or decent guards can be embellished.

You'll find that graver sharpening is something that needs doing fairly often (as you go along), so it is really a skill you'll need to learn for yourself. They go blunter far faster than most using knives, but thankfully most knives aren't asked to cut metal all the time.

solitarysmagick
24-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Is he now? Small world :D Engraving is a skill that can go well with knifemaking, depending upon his style of knives - anything with bolsters or decent guards can be embellished.

You'll find that graver sharpening is something that needs doing fairly often (as you go along), so it is really a skill you'll need to learn for yourself. They go blunter far faster than most using knives, but thankfully most knives aren't asked to cut metal all the time.

It should keep him busy then! :) I will have to get him to give me a lesson or two when I get going with it.

medusa
25-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Check out this book Rachael; http://www.cooksongold.com/Books/Engraving-On-Precious-Metals-By-A.-Brittain---P.-Morton-Book-prcode-999-AMP
It tells you most of what you need to know and what tools to buy. Then it's practice,practice and more practice. I used sheets of copper as practice plates for engraving.
Good luck,
James

this is a great book. But I've still not got around to having a go yet :(

solitarysmagick
26-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Just been speaking to the other half about the possibility of engraving some of his knives.. he has done some designs with brass/steel bolsters (some pics on his site here.. http://markhill-customknives.com). Might have to have a go if I turn out to be any good at it :)

Rachael x

Katrina
21-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I didn't much care for letter engraving,most of my engraving has been engraving patterns for my saw piercing and when carving crests.
But way back in my youth I did enjoy engraving pictures, like these shown below, just engraved on scraps of copper. Both done over 40 years ago.
James

Your engraving is amazing

Katrina
21-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I practice on copper.

As our teacher says to us Engraving isn't something that can be taught, but you need a teacher to learn it lol. I know make no sense but it is trial and error the technique is so time consuming and you also need the patience of a saint.

Goldsmith
22-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I practice on copper.

As our teacher says to us Engraving isn't something that can be taught, but you need a teacher to learn it lol. I know make no sense but it is trial and error the technique is so time consuming and you also need the patience of a saint.

May I ask who is your teacher Katrina, I was lucky that my Grandfather was an engraver and he taught me the basics back in the 1960s.
Forgive me if you already know these sites, if not check them out and perhaps join.
http://www.engraverscafe.com/forum.php
http://www.engravingforum.com/

James

Katrina
26-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi James,

Our teacher is called Ruth Anthony, she is really good at what she does.
She has a website but it doesnt have a lot of her work on it, or even her best work. go figure lol. But she made me like engraving which is a massive thing lol

www.ruthanthony.co.uk