PDA

View Full Version : International Jewellery London - September

springeth
23-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I heard about this today - and just wondered if anyone has been before and whether it's any good? I know it's trade-only, which strictly speaking, wouldn't apply to me as a hobbyist, but I was tempted by the gemstone sellers that are exhibiting. Is there anything there worth seeing for people who don't have a massive retail budget to spend?

Interested to hear your thoughts :)

Dennis
23-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I go annually, as a designer/ maker and have never had my motives questioned. All you do is register online, saying you are interested in buying tools and gemstones.

You will usually find Sutton Tools and Walshes, which gives you a rare chance to see and handle their range of tools, see what's new and come away with their useful catalogues.

On the gem side there are a number of outlets, such as Marcia Lanyon, Wards, a firm near Brighton and several others including some German ones.

If you confine yourself to these you will be out in about two hours. Look at more and it could take three or four. It is just opposite West Brompton tube. Dennis.

springeth
25-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Dennis, that's super useful! Sounds like a good idea to pop in and take a look. Is it free to attend?

Dennis
25-07-2012, 02:21 PM
It's free until you come across a few must-have purchases and then you let go of all common sense. Two more things:

There is usually a company selling photographic equipment. They will talk to you about related subjects.
Some German gemstone and bead companies won't take credit cards, but there is a NatWest cash point in the parking lot outside. Dennis.

ShinyLauren
25-07-2012, 06:13 PM
IJL is great! I go every year and have built up quite a collection of gemstones (it's currently quite hard to type this, as a tiny cat is sitting in front of me, chasing my typing on the computer screen...)

The gem dealers there are generally very nice and will usually give discounts for cash/multiple purchases etc.

It's also nice to go and admire all the amazing jewellery on show there. Inspiring and depressing in equal measures!

springeth
26-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Ah, SOLD! Thanks guys, definitely going to try and make it (and free entry means it would be silly not to!) and thanks for all the tips :)

Lauren - loving the mental image of your cat!

Wallace
26-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I applied this year, and my little book and ticket arrived this morning. Very excited - although free to attend, the cost to get there and inevitable spend will make my accountant's hairs stand on end. Well, I have had a couple of successes this year, so think I need to get out and about!

Would be nice to meet some of you if you are going too

art925
26-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I had the opportunity to display on the stand of the Federatie Goud en Zilver who have a huge stand of 15 or 20 Dutch designers, I decided to give it a miss; my initial suspicions were that the stand would be decorated in orange, with cows and tulips. I have seen the images...look out for the cows and tulips, oh yeh and lots and lots of orange.

Enjoy the event everyone, maybe I will pop back next year.
Les

pearlescence
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Does anyone exhibit at this show? I dither about doing so every year...to hear someone else's experience would be helpful