PDA

View Full Version : Cooksons' soldering kit........

Gayle
23-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey

was thinking of buying the soldering kit from Cooksongold but does it have everything I need. If not any suggestions would be appreciated......

Thanks

Gayle :)

springeth
23-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought the beginner's soldering kit a couple of months ago and still finding it great! The only extra thing I bought was a 'third hand' thing to hold the reverse tweezers, which I find pretty useful. The kit came with a good amount of silver solder and flux (the nice auflux stuff) too.

Gayle
23-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for that. Does it include pickle. I just want to get started. I finished a fab course a couple of months ago. So its about time I put it all to some use!!:-D

Gayle xx

springeth
23-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes it does, a whole massive tub of the stuff! Best if you have an old slow cooker to keep the pickle warm.

Totally understand how you feel, I was exactly the same before I got my soldering kit - you can't get very far without it. Where did you do your course, out of interest?

Gayle
23-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah Ive been looking out for an old slow cooker but not seen any so just going to buy a small one from argos! I did my course at Craven college in Skipton, North Yorkshire about 16-18 weeks cant remember which, £200 (ish) plus exam. I really miss it. I need to get on with it though before I forget how to do it!! :)
Gayle xx

springeth
23-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Sounds much more reasonable than London course prices! Sigh...

Gayle
23-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Awwww Chick lol :) xxx

Dennis
23-07-2012, 09:57 PM
The only thing you will need to consider is a hotter torch. Many of the agonised cries for help-with-soldering, come from beginners who simply can't raise enough heat to solder even a thin bangle, or a heavy ring with a hand held mini-torch.

A hand held DIY torch such as the Campingaz, or Go-System is the simplest solution. Dennis.

mark
24-07-2012, 01:05 PM
So would you say it would be better long term to go straight for a Sievert kit like this:

www gasproducts co uk/acatalog/Sievert_Pro_86_Jewellers_Gas_Blow_Torch_Kit.html

I know that by the time you've put flux/tweezers/etc on then this will be more expensive, but would it be a better use of funds?

Seems I'm not allowed to post urls...

Dennis
24-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, you'll always want a mini-torch for chains, jump ringsand other small items. What you buy in addition depends on how commercial you aim to get, including insurance and health and safety considerations.

Gayle
24-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

xx:)

Julian
25-07-2012, 07:39 AM
So would you say it would be better long term to go straight for a Sievert kit like this:

www gasproducts co uk/acatalog/Sievert_Pro_86_Jewellers_Gas_Blow_Torch_Kit.html

I know that by the time you've put flux/tweezers/etc on then this will be more expensive, but would it be a better use of funds?

Seems I'm not allowed to post urls...

I think that kit looks great for a starter, but i do feel it will get out grown. The Sievert, is excellent, but you will want the full set of burners. the one supplied in the picture in tiny, i rarely use it. i mainly use to next one up, and the largest for melting metal for casting.

An borax is realy cheep, for a flux. until you know you need something else for something specific.
]
Pickle baths seem to be the most expensive item in the soldering line, i really don't know why

Julian

Goldsmith
25-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Take a look on Ebay, there are loads of slow cookers for sale, how about this one the LLOYTRON 1.5L COMPACT BLACK ELECTRIC SLOW COOKER for £11 plus postage. It is a brand new item, the seller says 10 available, has a ceramic pot a glass lid and it is reasonably small. It holds 1.5 litres of liquid which is large enough for most jobs.

It should be fine for a pickle pot if you want this type check it out.

Although for the past 30 years an old Pyrex lidded casserole dish heated on a gas ring has served me well as a pickle pot.

James