PDA

View Full Version : Etchant for white gold?!

Laure Filho
20-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi, I am desperately trying to etched a 9kt w.gold bit of 8mm D wire for a wedding ring. I put it in aqua regia,along with some 9kt y.gold,the y.gold proceeded to dissolve and nothing happened with the white. I bought it from cooksons,so know it's a decent alloy. Any suggestions? I'm loath to cast it from silver,as I've already priced it&it's getting closer to the date!! Laure Filho

Dennis
20-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Never done that, but it is one part concentrated nitric to three parts concentrated hydrochloric. Try using it more diluted, (always add acid to water, even then it might splutter). I have not read up etching with this, but wonder whether it might undermine the resist anyhow, if too strong.

That said Cookson have some good experts in B'ham who will be only too pleased to advise on the phone. Dennis.

Goldsmith
20-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't think you can etch white gold easily. If it is an urgent job I would suggest that you send the ring to someone who can laser cut your proposed etched pattern onto the ring. Take a look at this company website; http://www.geti.cc/

James