PDA

View Full Version : unsetting a stone

theresa
17-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi there

I have just chipped a small Garnet in an open ended tube setting and wondered what the best way was to remove it? It doesn't have much value so I guess I could break it if all else fails. Would welcome any suggestions
Many thanks
Theresa

PS my tube setting efforts are getting better & better, such a good way to set a stone, love it.

Kwant
17-07-2012, 05:26 PM
This was addressed quite recently and I think it was Dennis who suggested running the tip of a scalpel/craft knife round the rub over, gently easing it away from the stone by slightly twisting the point to push against the metal and the stone and I would guess it would be better to use the back of the blade so as not to nick the setting.

mizgeorge
17-07-2012, 08:59 PM
If you're not worried about saving the stone (and I guess if it's already chipped, you're not!), I would just smash it out. I find it easier to clean up the setting for another attempt if I haven't had to mess around with the original rubover too much. I generally just use an agate burnisher to then open it back up.

lilia
17-07-2012, 09:33 PM
If you're not worried about saving the stone (and I guess if it's already chipped, you're not!), I would just smash it out. I find it easier to clean up the setting for another attempt if I haven't had to mess around with the original rubover too much. I generally just use an agate burnisher to then open it back up.

I agree with George. The chipped stone is no good anyway, and this way you wouldnt damage the setting too much.

Dennis
17-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Well you have had two answers, but it becomes more difficult the smaller the stone, either to smash it or insert something:

1. You can make a ^ shaped notch just behind the point of a craft knife using a separating disk, or diamond burr. This isolates a small section of blade to gradually insert between the bezel and the stone.

2. You can also file , saw, or cut off with a craft knife (or flat graver) just enough retention to push the stone out from underneath.

Afterwards the inside of the setting can be opened if necessary by inserting the stem of a twist drill and wriggling gently. A reason to have a selection around the workshop.

As George has said, these methods require you to clean up what can be a ragged mess, so you must go slowly and only move/remove a little metal at a time. Dennis.

theresa
17-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks everybody, it was more or less what I thought, so will tackle it tomorrow. I don't own an Agate burnisher, is this something I should buy? What else is it used for?

Theresa

Dennis
17-07-2012, 10:18 PM
The truth is I have never smashed a stone to do this, but thinking it over, I would get out my trusty set of twist drills and selecting one that fits into the back of the tube, mount it in a vice.

Now with the stone firmly supported I would tap it with a small hammer, using a scriber or an old burr as a punch.

Julian
18-07-2012, 06:28 AM
If you are going to sacrifice the stone, heat it up to annealing temp ( nice red glow ) and the drop it in cold water, it should shatter. It may take a couple of attempts to get it all.

Safety specs! it could shatter during the heating.:Y:

Julian