PDA

View Full Version : Grotty Found Object To Useful Gadget.

Dennis
10-07-2012, 06:28 AM
While walking down our High Street, my eye was caught by a discarded lighter in the crack of the pavement. Remembering something from ‘Cheap Thrills In The Workshop’, by Charles Lewton-Brain, I brought it home to cut out the flint wheel, discarding the die-cast thumb wheels on either side.

Drilling out the softer steel axle was easy enough, done in two stages with some lubricant, to accommodate the screw of a screw mandrel.

The result mounted, is a rotary file for flex-shaft, which can be used for trimming round and oval holes to a scribed line and other jobs, where a file won’t go, or simply because you prefer rotary tools. Dennis.

caroleallen
10-07-2012, 07:39 AM
You're too clever Dennis. Way too clever; I can't work it out at all.

Goldsmith
10-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Clever idea Dennis but why bother when you can buy sets of diamond burs like these from Cookson;
http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Diamond-Burrs-Large-Set-Of-30-prcode-999-6389 all for £12.
Or there are cheaper versions from Amazon;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-30Pc-Deburring-And-Engraving/dp/B001NHXZDS/ref=pd_sim_diy_1
Sorry Cookson but £5 for 30 different shaped diamond burs can't be bad.

James

ps_bond
10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
I tend to be relatively careful (c.f. "overcautious" maybe!) with my diamond tooling - the carbide burrs (including a couple of lighter wheels), while brittle, get used more for hogging out material and are usually less susceptible to clogging with softer metals.

Dennis
10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
You're too clever Dennis. Way too clever; I can't work it out at all.

??? Dennis.

James, You're right, I like new things too, but in this instance it's satisfaction from getting something for free, re-cycling waste, and lastly because the cheap sets have 3.0mm shanks, which won't fit my micromotor handpiece.

These wheels also give a superior bright cut- try it for fun, Dennis.

lopez
10-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Dennis I often thought the C Lewton-Brain was for quacks until I made a diamond fly wheel, but those were the days when time was in abundant. Why don't you make a collet for the handpiece or better still get a 'jacobs' handpiece for around £15.00, although big and chunky they're great for holding the>3.00mm shanks. If you could free some mind power do you have any solutions for a cheap wax injector, I have two on the go with different casting waxes in but need a third for injecting green carving wax for small quantity waxing, any ideas??

ps_bond
10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
You've seen this article I presume?
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/home-made-wax-injector.htm

Kwant
10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Ever since I read this thread I have had the tune for Steptoe and Son in my head :0)

Dennis
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Lopez, you probably know that with all but the most expensive micromotors, the handpiece is fixed and cannot be exchanged. The best I can do is to use a mandrel with interchangeable collets, but for most purposes that makes the tools too long to be useful and liable to bend suddenly.

Fischer advise in their catalogue, that you first experiment with their practice flywheel, before using the diamond one. I certainly don't have the confidence to set my own as a tool.

You have given us a lot of interesting and valuable posts in quite a short time, but I am wondering whether you could fill us in a little about yourself. I could only find two women Lopez jewellers online and I doubt either is you? Dennis.

Dennis
10-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Ever since I read this thread I have had the tune for Steptoe and Son in my head :0)

You have to clack your tongue for the hooves as well.

Melanie De Castro Pugh
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM

So have I now. Cheers, Cornelius! :-(

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

ps_bond
11-07-2012, 07:03 AM
You have to clack your tongue for the hooves as well.

I thought a couple of coconuts were de rigeur? But whether they can be carried by African or European swallows is another matter...
(You'll have to excuse me, I've just started learning the Python scripting language and the examples are littered with Monty Python references)

lopez
15-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Dennis apologies for the late reply, I should of introduced myself when I first started but am not that clued in when in comes to forums ( basically I didn't know how to !). Anyway I guess I'm a designer/maker or manufacturer.....what's the difference?? who lives in North Cornwall; I don't really have a speciality apart from paying the bills and due to my location everything is done 'in house' from refining to stone setting, well I say everything I don't do enammeling or photography yet. As for the jewellery I make anything and everything from the 2000 stone micro pave Pt wedding band to the 22ct earring butterfly; my knowledge mainly comes from the Birmingham jewellery where a did a sabatical using the Uni to it's full extent and the vast knowledge of the 'old school' art college folk; since my clients are all over the country 50% of my time is spent on the road where I travel over 1500 miles a week and although tiring it feels the mind to tackle the next jewellery problem. As for the forum well you can never have too much knowledge and if you travel the country like I do you'd be suprised what is out there!

Dennis
15-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you Lopez, for taking time out to write your enviable CV. Such training as I have had came from adult education classes and short courses, so I envy you your Birmingham experience, but not so much the traveling.

Should you wish to, once you have signed in, you can click on 'My Profile', at the very top right of the page and paste an edited version of what you have written here, for others to enjoy. Regards, Dennis.