PDA

View Full Version : Scrap pots

Julian
04-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Do you keep separate scrap pots per metal? Or just let cookies sort it out. By scrap I mean bench sweepings etc.

Julian

Tabby66
04-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Silver in one pot, gold in a little bag (I don't have a lot)!!

Goldsmith
04-07-2012, 07:00 AM
I always clean my bench when changing metals, if you don't keep scraps and lemels separate the buyer will charge you for separation and assay before buying from you. I use empty old coffee jars for gold and silver lemels and scrap.
James

mizgeorge
04-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Separate - big pot for silver, little one for gold!

Dennis
04-07-2012, 09:10 AM
My first incursions into gold resulted in a bigger scrap pot than expected.

SJEgan
04-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I have separate containers but not worked in much gold so not really been an issue, haven't tried to sell scrap yet but got quite a collection of sterling, do you get a decent bit for it?

lopez
04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Julian, I don't bother to sort it out just throw it all in the same pot, all the Pt, Au and Ag etc. Usually if you the 'cash it in' you get a analysis of the metals and get paid for it, if you keep it individually you only get paid for the individual metal and not any precious contaminant.

Dennis
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I have separate containers but not worked in much gold so not really been an issue, haven't tried to sell scrap yet but got quite a collection of sterling, do you get a decent bit for it?

At Cooksons the assay fee remains constant, so to reduce the percentage it's best to wait until you have at least a kilo of sterling. Other walk in places in Hatton garden take it without assay if it is clean scrap, but I presume they pay less. Dennis.

SJEgan
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Dennis, might be getting close to the kg now to be honest. Hopefully I'll be up in Brum over the summer and might try go in with it and see what I can get.