PDA

View Full Version : cold connections

Tegenn
26-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi has anyone got any bright suggestions for cold connections - this is driving me crazy ! I want to join a piece of anodised aluminium to a fine chain to fit on the back of the hand. I need to connect around the wrist and between the fingers. It would appear easy until the part where the chain welds to the jumpring ! I dont have a finer flame, so am looking for some other way .

Kwant
26-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi Tegenn, can you post a pic? to let us see what it is you are working on, it might then be easier for folks to come up with an idea.

Dennis
26-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Here is a shot in the dark, remembering that we don't quite know what you are making:

Solder the chain to a jump ring of suitable size.
Make a rivet to fit the jump ring.
Drill the aluminium accurately and rivet with the jump ring underneath and out of sight.

The rivet can be a short piece of tubing, or a stout piece of wire. For a head on the side which shows, you can cut a tiny disk or a slice of round wire, possibly dome it and solder it on. Personally I favour tube rivets as they are easy to spread.

I do suggest you get a basic mini-torch for small soldering jobs.

Below, my mixed metal project piece to illustrate the cold connections. Apologies to those who have seen it before. Dennis.