PDA

View Full Version : My next project (non jewellery)

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Well, I have finally found some instructions to make one of these: Hammered Dulcimer (http://leeharps.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Hammered-Dulcimer.jpg)

Of course I could be completely insane but I really want one and they cost a fortune to buy. This way I also get to choose every aspect of colour and resonance chamber cover!

I'm quite excited but it's all on hold until we move to Cornwall :(|

My OH wants to make a Cittern too which he is chomping at the bit to get started on!!

Does anyone else take up odd projects like this or is it just me and my OH #-o

See the plan also is to play them at Medieval Festivals where we are selling jewellery to draw the punters in... clever eh? :D

AlexandraBuckle
19-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I couldn't get your link to work :(
I want to see what a hammered dulcimer looks like :)
(is it a bell...?)

I guess if I was less lazy I could google it.....
(maybe I will google it)

AlexandraBuckle
19-08-2009, 04:53 PM
ok so wiki says its not a bell :">

looks fun, i wanna play one!

Ominicci
19-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Link doesn't work for me either...

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Oooo yes i got "this website has declined to show this page" How awwwfully poshe :D

julie
19-08-2009, 07:34 PM
i googled it it looks very nice :Y:

caroleallen
19-08-2009, 07:51 PM
When do you plan to move to Cornwall?

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Booo @ stupid link...

It's one of these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7998263@N03/3179125901/

That's a small-ish one though but they sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxjpYHhfRyI

Amazingly beautiful but if you don't get the construction right the tension of the strings will crunch it lol... so... little room for failure then... #-o

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 07:53 PM
When do you plan to move to Cornwall?

Well if I could find somewhere tomorrow it would be tomorrow but most likely sometime in October / November time... definitely before Christmas :D

Solunar Silver Studio
20-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Wow - that sounds really interesting! You with the dulcima and him with the cittern...great stuff!!:Y: I went to a recital in the spring where a couple dressed in period costumes (though more practical than authentic they rounded the performance off really well) took us through a variety of replica musical instruments from the past and played a selection of music from a six century period on the appropriate instruments and they sang the songs in french and old english as well! We were allowed to handle the instruments too and they were so beautiful! I did a little write up about it on my blog and it also has a link to their website where you can hear snippets from their CDs and hear what the instruments sound like. Magical! I'm sure when you do it it will draw the punters in...we were all captivated! And you can be sure that no-one will ever forget you! Let's see the competition out do that!!!:D

http://solunarsilverstudio.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/

The Bijou Dragon
20-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Oh wow... I think I might have died and gone to heaven seeing all those instruments :D

All I need is a lottery win and I would probably end up with a room full of old and unusual instruments!

AlexandraBuckle
20-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Wow, love it!

When you've made your dulcimer Bijou i want to hear a clip of you playing it :)

Petal
20-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Bijou, :~:

I am speechless, that music is so haunting and really magical stuff and yes, we all want to hear you playing it when you've made yours!!! lovely lovely lovely :X

Jules x

Di Sandland
20-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Stunning stuff. I love medieval music and then right up to the Tudor period. I love history full stop - not kings and queens and stuff but social history. Of course, it would be those at court who heard this wonderful music, not the poor peasantry ;)

:offtopic:

In fact, my current writing in progress is historical fiction based on the lives of the last three witches hanged in Britain (there is dispute about a 4th). They lived in Bideford, 7 miles from me.