PDA

View Full Version : Website hosts?

louisella76
21-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Can anyone please suggest / recommend good Webhost providers? I already have a domain name and am at the point where I'd like to take the plunge and set up a website. A friend has suggested Mr Site however I wondered if anyone had any feedback on them or have a preference for another host?

Although I'm quite techy orientated, at this stage I'm looking for something quite straightforward which I can personalise to some extent.

Apologies in advance if this raises groans amongst the more regular forum members as I'm sure this subject may well have been discussed to death! I've had a search on previous posts but they seem to be a couple of years old now

Thank you
Sarah

mizgeorge
21-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I use one.com and have been absolutely happy with them. Their tech support is excellent and any tiny glitches have always been dealt with very quickly.

I use prestashop for my site, which I'm also very happy with. I looked at other alternatives, including Zen Cart and Cube Cart, and the other option which ended up in the running was a Wordpress based site, but I wanted more off-the-peg functionality than that offered me.

Mr Site is a good entry point, but is really a page content site with a bit of shopping bolted on, rather than a true e-commerce site, and can be very frustrating to use. Their tech support is dreadful.

medusa
21-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I use site5. I'm not great tech speaking but they have absolutely superlative customer support, either by email or live chat. I have one of the advanced accounts which gives me pretty much unlimited numbers of domains I can host. I think I pay about $155 per year for the turbo host-pro. It's worth it for me because I have several websites for various things.
http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/

t1ggerk1ns
21-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I currently use Zen Cart, which is free, and it's quite easy to work with.

Wallace
22-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I use one and one, but am so technically backwards with the web stuff, I am not sure I am making the most of things. I pay £4.99 per month per site and about £6.99 for a renewal max.

The server has not let me down yet. You can use your own FTP software and for that it has been brilliant.

Di Sandland
23-06-2012, 09:03 AM
I use Evohosting and, having been around the block a bit(!), I have to say this is where I shall stay. I'm currently building my first real shop and I'm using OpenCart - I'm finding it a lot easier than Presta Shop! http://www.evohosting.co.uk

louisella76
24-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions - I'm off to have a look around now :)

alexyarm
04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Using a VPS setup from webfusion. They used to be awful, being very difficult when trying to exit an expired contract. They seem to have cleaned up their act recently though. Tech support is pretty dismal though.

spiralcraft
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I use create.net which are good. They have three different packages to suit your budget. I think yhey all have the option of an in built shop and blog.

Exsecratio
08-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Please be careful when using "all in one" hosting providers. Some of the click and go web sites are registered to the host and not you, great unless you want to move your site and find you have to buy your own domain name back from the host.

I use

http://www.justhost.com/cgi/info/web_hosting

Also where possible don't put the shop in the root directory of your site, there can be security issues, www.blahdiddyblah.com is a root directory, www.blahdiddyblah.com/shop/ is a better idea.

best wishes

Dave

Petal
25-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm bumping this up to the top again, as I'm finally setting up a website. Having had issues with not receiving customers emails with my current provider, I'm keen to get this right with a host who provides 100% reliability, someone I can phone if things go wrong, good tech support and is fairly easy to use.

As this is a fairly old thread, I'm interested to know if you are still happy with your provider, or have moved on elsewhere.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.xx

pearlescence
25-06-2014, 12:52 PM
contact Neil@greatadsl.co.uk
UK company, small and personal. Can do all phone, website, hosting etc etc

medusa
25-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm still with site5. They still give great support and never get grumpy or snitty with me when I do blindingly stupid stuff like spell my website wrong

Wallace
25-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I am with 1and1 - for domain hosting. I have recently switched to Weebley for web hosting as I can't afford to get my site done by someone at the moment.

If you want a complete package, you could also try Octopidesign.com - Dave Boon, will sort out abosolutely everything you will ever need. This is their generic email (hello@octopidesign.com) - I will be using them when I get going in the right direction

medusa
25-06-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm confused (as usual).

I thought website hosting was just the company that put your website on the internet. I know sometimes they also host the domains (all my domains and site hosting are with site5 now that my old contract with goDaddy has expired) but that your website was made separately (either DIY with web building software or pay someone) or via the usually basic DIY website software some of them have.

I thought weebley, 1and1 and companies like that just rented out customisable webspace, so you stick your stuff on and tweak it a bit but they own the actual site and domain name.

This is from when I looked into it a few years back. I'm curious if things have improved or got cheaper.

Wallace
25-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Oh, I am more confused than most - I didn't even know you could switch an Ipad off manually until I read about it!

I point my website through Weebly so I can use my own purchased address (domain host - could be anyone you want to transfer it to) so then the web site itself (?webspace) is being driven through (web host) weebly after doing some back end direction pointing (got a bit technical after a while). It is all a bit too much, but at least weebly is the closest thing I can get to a site that is more 'what you see is what you get' for show and tell, fun and all things signposting with minimum knowledge of html or having to work out page sizes and so much more.

Edward Fleming
28-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I use bluehost, very cheap and scaleable should your audience grow. They will try and cross promote things like SEO but use these sales conversations to learn more about what you can do on-line