PDA

View Full Version : That Ring Spring Thing.

Dennis
19-06-2012, 08:16 AM
What do you do, when only six months ago you made this ring and now it is too loose to be comfortable? Well I unset it and re-sized the double shank, making sure it would end a little on the tight side. It helps to have the wearer living in of course, for re-checking at every stage.

So far so good, but a few weeks later It was loose again, so what now? There was nothing for it, but to resort to the ring spring thing, also known as a ring clip. You could easily make one yourself from 0.15mm metal. They are only a simple H shape, but why bother when you can buy in an assortment for future disasters.

They are not pretty and they scream ‘amateur’ and ‘failure’, but they pass over knuckles and grip the finger in a secure way. What do you do? Dennis.

caroleallen
19-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I've often wondered about those things Dennis. I still can't quite see from your photos how they work.

t1ggerk1ns
19-06-2012, 01:16 PM
They are horrible, and I hate them. My hands change size with the weather, and I tried them. Basically they 'square off' the back bit of the ring, making it slightly smaller. They are really uncomfortable to wear, and I have had small blisters quite regularly from them trapping or rubbing.

Dennis
20-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Sorry, Carole I only realised, when I looked again, that there is something funny about the ring shank in photograph1. So here is my assistant Woody, holding it for another shot.
Basically the cross bar on the H-shape reduces the ring size and the legs are wrapped around the shank(s).

Tigger, I tried it on a tight finger after fitting and did not notice any discomfort. The in house wearer, who is quite fussy, has had it for three weeks or so without complaint. These come from Cookson and I did burnish the edges well and went over any rough feeling bits with a rubber wheel. Dennis.

t1ggerk1ns
20-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I suppose it might depend on what the wearer does. I tend to wear my rings all the time, and I am constantly lifting boxes etc, so maybe I am not a 'normal' subject.

lopez
20-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi Dennis, the monthly expansion of the female finger is a dilemma and although the H clasp works it looks...anyway some of the options I stick to 1. there are some fantastic hinged shanks available which look excellent but very expensive, 2) make one yourself hich can be rewarding 3) if the finger expansion is only 1/2-1 size go for a heavy court comfort fit shank then when the finger expands there are no corners to rub against, it always works for me.

glowpear
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi there Iopez - would you mind elaborating on your suggestions please? What is a hinged shank and how would one go about making one? Am a relative beginner so please feel free to dumb down as much as possible.... The oversized item in question is a chunky gold ring with a bezel set diamond made by a classmate of mine when pregnant and rather sausagy of finger. Thanks!
Glowpear.