PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Tarnished Silver on Completed Gemstone Necklaces, etc - Please Help

lindab
17-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I have made quite a few necklaces, bracelets and earrings all of which have silver in the pieces. My problem is that the silver is tarnishing and needs to be brought back to pristine condition before I sell them. I realise I should have probably put them all in anti-tarnish boxes but I am new to all this!!

Can someone please tell me how to clean the silver without taking all of the pieces apart? Does putting the pieces in Goddards Silver clean liquid work and if so will it kill the gems? The type of gems are citrine, amethyst, and all the usual culprits of semi-precious gems.

Your assistance in this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Linda

mizgeorge
18-06-2012, 09:41 AM
silver dip is fine for any non-porous stone that hasn't been colour treated. You can also use aluminium foil and bicarb with hot water.

Dennis
18-06-2012, 10:23 AM
George has mentioned the electrolytic method and below is a ticket about this, which I once included with my work. Now I usually suggest a 20 second immersion in Silver Dip followed by brushing, rinsing and drying. This very brief immersion has so far not affected anything.

For maintaining your stock, anti-tarnish strips, or tabs work brilliantly in small closed cabinets or sealed bags and mine last for a year or more.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=14&gs_id=kc&xhr=t&q=anti+tarnish+tabs&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Antitarnish+ta&

lindab
18-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Thank you for the advice. I have tried the aluminium and bicarb - worked a treat :-).
My Silver Dip arrived this afternoon so I will try that in the next day or so.

Many thanks.

rocknrobbie
02-09-2012, 07:09 AM
I use a product called Tarne-x it works fantastic it smells like hard boild eggs, but works awesome.

Dennis
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Bl...y Hell Robbie, If this is the product http://www.jtote.com/product_info.php/jelmar-tarn-tarnish-remover-p-148529?currency=GBP&utm_campaign=product&utm_medium=free&u, I'd rather get Goddards Silver Dip from Tesco.

Kwant
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
ouch ............... at that price I would expect them to send a little man round to do it for me.

Di Sandland
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Kwant, at that price I wouldn't want the man they send round to be so little...

Kwant
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Di!!!!!!

snigger

solitarysmagick
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
ouch indeed! I've used Goddards for years and always had brilliant results. Which reminds me, I've been in need of a new jar for ages, must remember to get one next time I go shopping.

alexyarm
23-10-2012, 11:55 PM
We bought an ultrasound jewellery cleaner for £4.99.. it *sort of*, just about, made a slight difference, but we pretty much got what we paid for