PDA

View Full Version : Sandblaster wanted

art925
15-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have a sandblaster lurking around in your unopend / unused / unloved tools section of your garage, shed or cellar? I would love to have a play....

Many thanks.
Lesley

ps_bond
15-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Not that I have a spare one, but what are you looking to do with it Lesley?

mizgeorge
15-06-2012, 07:39 PM
they pop up on the weekly specials at Aldi and Lidl fairly regularly.

art925
17-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Not that I have a spare one, but what are you looking to do with it Lesley?
Hi Peter, I was hoping to have a play with texturing with a sandblaster, I have seen it done, and they are quite expensive.

they pop up on the weekly specials at Aldi and Lidl fairly regularly.
Thanks George, I will have a google and see if they post.

Thanks
Lesley

Julian
17-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Lesley,

Still not sure what you are trying to achieve ?

J

ps_bond
17-06-2012, 06:47 PM
If it's just the more subtle effects, then an air eraser is pretty effective (and not desperately expensive). I've got a Paasche one, and running alox through it is quite good at leaving a frosted finish on metals, glass, fingernails carelessly left in the way...

art925
17-06-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www.hswalsh.com/Eco-Sandblaster-.aspx?i=TP39&t=125

This is the one I have seen in a workshop, about 1800 euros plus. It holds up to three different shot sizes, and can be quite offensive to silver and gold.

I think this is like yours Peter. http://www.micromark.com/paasche-air-eraser-mini-sandblast-gun-set,9117.html

Julian, depending upon the shot size, pressure, metal used the texture on the metal varies. I like to texture a lot of my work, mostly I use reticulation. This is a way to produce a more constant less varied look to a piece. The one that Peter has will produce a finer texture. I have found some photos ofsandblasted work, but the photos will not load. if you google images for sandblasted jewellery you will find some examples of what I want to achieve.

I found some info on a couple of mechanics forums regarding the ones from Aldi & Lidl and the mechanics wanting to clean up motorbike wheels, nuts, bolts etc where less than impressed.

Ideally I would like something between the two mentioned above.

Dennis
17-06-2012, 08:51 PM
A decent compressor will cost you too, though Les.

art925
17-06-2012, 09:16 PM
A decent compressor will cost you too, though Les.

Well yes, but as a small start up I am getting really good tax breaks & grants at the moment for investing in the business, so I might as well spend before the euro collapses...

Goldsmith
18-06-2012, 07:09 AM
I have a sandblaster cabinet that I might be selling soon, it's a pity that you are so far away Lesley. I bought my Bego Minipol blast cabinet from a dental technicians supplier here in the UK.
I had a look online and I see that on eBay.de someone in Germany have one on offer for 200 Euro. See; http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bego-Minipol-Herbst-/130701681090?pt=Laborger%C3%A4te_Zahntechnik&hash=item1e6e6d61c2#ht_1084wt_905
James
This is my Bego Minipol.

art925
18-06-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a sandblaster cabinet that I might be selling soon, it's a pity that you are so far away Lesley. I bought my Bego Minipol blast cabinet from a dental technicians supplier here in the UK.
I had a look online and I see that on eBay.de someone in Germany have one on offer for 200 Euro. See; http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bego-Minipol-Herbst-/130701681090?pt=Laborger%C3%A4te_Zahntechnik&hash=item1e6e6d61c2#ht_1084wt_905
James
This is my Bego Minipol.

Now that's the kind of jobby I'm looking for, I have contacted dental suppliers here in NL for recons, but I still have to wait on their lists. What spec compressor do you use with your Bego James?

ps_bond
18-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I think this is like yours Peter. http://www.micromark.com/paasche-air-eraser-mini-sandblast-gun-set,9117.html

That's one of them, yes.
I also have a small cabinet from Machine Mart (cheap & cheerful) that I use for derusting car parts and texturing steel before applying bake-on finishes and a small spotblast gun. They have very, very high air consumption and can only run from my gutsier compressor (although even that is a bit underpowered). I run the cabinet with different grades of alox or glass bead depending on what finish I'm trying to achieve.

Never tried using the larger ones on jewellery items; they'd give a very eroded look, I think - and I'd be concerned about lemel reclamation.

Goldsmith
18-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I use a small standard compressor with a tank an older version of one of these; http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tiger they are OK if noise is not a problem.
This company also sells larger sandblast cabinets if you are interested, see; http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/heavy-duty-blast-cabinet

James

ps_bond
18-06-2012, 08:52 AM
That's the cabinet I have. The compressor is one of these AFAIR - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/warrior-60-air-compressor
(and yes, they are *very* noisy - that's why I have the silent compressor too)

art925
18-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks Peter & James, I have a little 5litre / 8bar compressor, but agree this is insufficient. I have also seen this on German ebay, which looks to take up less space and offers the range of abrasives in 3 hoses. http://www.ebay.de/itm/3-Kammer-Sandstrahlgerat-TISSI-EUROSAB-GS-/251085176847?pt=Laborger%C3%A4te_Zahntechnik&hash=item3a75d7c00f
I have contacted the manufacturers in Italy this morning for more info on the item before I go ahead with bidding.

Once again thanks so much! I will let you see the results of my activity.
Lesley

Dennis
18-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I know I’m being a pain Les, but what worries me is that the route you are taking is expensive and space consuming, yet not very versatile.
For instance, blasting is brilliant for cleaning anything in a straight line of fire, but not around corners. It will produce a beautiful matte effect on metal, but the appearance is not sustainable.

What I mean by that is that any rub with a hard object will leave shiny lines which can only be removed by blasting again, in other words not by the customer. This might just be acceptable on reticulated surfaces, but little else.

I had access to this equipment when I began, but soon gave it up for the above reasons. Could you not achieve what you want by tumbling with needles, ceramic chips, or with a magnetic device?

Regards, Dennis.

Julian
18-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Julian, depending upon the shot size, pressure, metal used the texture on the metal varies. I like to texture a lot of my work, mostly I use reticulation. This is a way to produce a more constant less varied look to a piece. The one that Peter has will produce a finer texture. I have found some photos ofsandblasted work, but the photos will not load. if you google images for sandblasted jewellery you will find some examples of what I want .

Well if you are not successfully, I have a 12 gauge you can use ( just kidding, but I could not resist ;) )

Julian

art925
19-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi Dennis, I appreciate your comments as always. From what I understand an abrasive with a size of around 100/200 microns will leave a fine, scratchable surface. But when you start to move up in particle size especially with a higher pressure the indent is deeper. Most of the systems only go upto 250 microns, I can purchase abrasive upto 850 microns quite readily so the right system is important.
The results of tumbling will indent the whole piece and that is not the effect I am looking for. My Research continues...

Goldsmith
19-06-2012, 03:59 PM
May I ask what effect you are looking for, I have experience of many forms of texturing and may be able to suggest different methods. I would be interested in seeing whatever you intend sand blasting or a photo of something that shows the finish you would like to achieve.

James

art925
20-06-2012, 07:05 AM
May I ask what effect you are looking for, I have experience of many forms of texturing and may be able to suggest different methods. I would be interested in seeing whatever you intend sand blasting or a photo of something that shows the finish you would like to achieve.

James

Thanks James, I have spent the last day to try to find photos, this is the best I can find...http://www.utedecker.com/fairtrade_gold_h2.html
The gold here is quite pitted, and not a fine finish. The texture is regular in structure across the piece.

Goldsmith
20-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Lesley, My sandblaster would not achieve such course texture, the machine that Peter has would be a better option. I would say that the jewellery would need scratch brush polishing after such blasting as sand blasting leaves a dull matte finish. If you had patience you could achieve a similar effect by texturing with a hammerhead attachment in a flexshaft drill. I use my hammerhead when texturing carved animals and such like. The same effect can be achieved with chasing tool punches and a hammer. I also use my scratch brush, a rotating brass bristle brush, when creating a fine matte finish like the background to this crest.

James

art925
20-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Lesley, My sandblaster would not achieve such course texture, the machine that Peter has would be a better option. I would say that the jewellery would need scratch brush polishing after such blasting as sand blasting leaves a dull matte finish. If you had patience you could achieve a similar effect by texturing with a hammerhead attachment in a flexshaft drill. I use my hammerhead when texturing carved animals and such like. The same effect can be achieved with chasing tool punches and a hammer. I also use my scratch brush, a rotating brass bristle brush, when creating a fine matte finish like the background to this crest.

James

Thanks James, I knew it would be acheiveable with the right kit. OK so big gusty comp and industrial grade sandblaster it is.... I dont have a hammerhead attachment for my flexi and far less patience to do it this way. I also use a scratch brush for the matte finish on that wonderful crest you made; are you a former pupil James?

Dennis
20-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks James, I have spent the last day to try to find photos, this is the best I can find...http://www.utedecker.com/fairtrade_gold_h2.html
The gold here is quite pitted, and not a fine finish. The texture is regular in structure across the piece.

Being argumentative to the bitter end, this can easily be achieved for the price of a sheet of sandpaper, grit of your choice, in a rolling mill. Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis.

ps_bond
20-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, I'd been thinking that a hammer and a sheet of sandpaper would too, but yes. Although the ring shank may also be textured, which would be more awkward. I've had some interesting textures from a hammer handpiece with a diamond set with the culet pointing out as the texturing tool; I tend not to use that kind of texture much now as while it looks very glittery on silver initially, subsequent tarnish takes the gleam off and using electrolytic cleaning didn't restore the shine that well.

Goldsmith
20-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I think I may have posted this photo before, but just for interest these are some of the textures that I achieved using my hammerhead attachment. I must also add that my sandblaster has been rarely used, except on the original actual job that I purchased it for, about ten years ago.

James

art925
20-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Being argumentative to the bitter end, this can easily be achieved for the price of a sheet of sandpaper, grit of your choice, in a rolling mill. Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis.

Loving your tenacity Dennis never give up...I will give it a go this aft.

art925
20-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis. Can everyone put the mallet down and walk away from Dennis. I have tried grit grade 80, with which I was less than impressed. Grade 40 with 3 passes through the mill gives a more desireable effect, (I will see if I can get hold of a courser grade paper). I then went over the surface with a brass bristle brush and lots of soap to give a "sheen". A little more playing will make me satisfied with the result. I will post photies following further playtimes.

Bah now I have to find something else to spend the Governments money on, well if we had a Government at the moment.

Dennis
20-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Following the conversation above, then any shaped surface can also be textured with the medium frosting wheel in the flex shaft. I tend to use it as an afterthought, when some part looks a bit plain, or there is an unwanted mark to disguise.

Used not too fast, they last a while before they loose their wire, but eye protection is a good idea. 999CCQ http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=Frosting+Wheel+-+Medium&queryFromSuggest=true

Patstone
20-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Are we talking about a matt silver finish. Whats the matter with a bit of wire wool, thats what I use on my stuff, and I have been known to use a nylon foam scouring pad, the cube shape ones with the green rough tops, they work just as well and are easier to hold.

Kwant
20-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Oh is there a queue for the mallet bashing?

Dennis
21-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Honi Soit Qui Mallet Pense.

mizgeorge
21-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Honi Soit Qui Mallet Pense.

That made me chuckle - thank you Dennis :)