PDA

View Full Version : Silver help!!

lopez
11-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Okay, this is all new to me (the forum), I'm going to try to go down the silver route and make some rings etc but don't really know which alloy to go for, do I cast using the traditional 925 silver or do I use one of the new tarnish resist alloys? Do I go traditional and rhodium plate or use 'anti' tarnish method?

Kwant
11-06-2012, 04:31 PM
As nobody else has responded and not wanting you to think you have been forgotten, I would say it is a matter of personal choice. I use 925 and fine casting grain, but also use scrap 925 for casting, I would certainly never consider getting anything rhodium plated but again that is just a personal choice. Having said that I only use cuttlefish bone and an ingot mould for casting, it may be different for lost wax or other methods, but to date the material I have used has served me well.

Dennis
11-06-2012, 04:55 PM
To my eye, rhodium plating is hideous and reminds me of chrome car bumpers. High street jewellers have rhodium plated 9ct white gold, to disguise the light yellow cast, but I like it as it is.

Silver too is beautiful in its own right and most people accept that it needs a little maintenance if they don't like a patina. Dennis.

Julian
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I am going to stick my neck you hear :)

The are several reason to go for reflections, or rhodium plate, but its a matter of knowing the person it is for, and compromising with your vision as a artist. Some people's skin reacts more than others, so a ring for 24/7 ware may cause a green mark on the finger. Mine does, but some women woul find that un acceptable.

That said I would go for 925 untill I had a reason.

Julian

lopez
11-06-2012, 05:49 PM
thanks all, sorry I should of said I only really do lost wax casting; and I guess the problem is how do I keep the items from tarnishing which is why I thought of rhodium plating, I'll stick to the traditional 925 silver/copper alloy and solve the tarnish later??? Reflections, Argentium, sooo confusing.........

Dennis
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
There are still things you can do, Lopez:

1. Store you stock in closed bags, boxes, or cabinets with anti-tarnish tabs, http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=16&gs_id=na&xhr=t&q=Anti-tarnish+tabs&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Anti-tarnish+tab&aq=0&aqi=g1g-K2g-mK1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=61fac2466799da4e&biw=1280&bih=675

2.Make up a handout to enclose with sales, explaining that silver does tarnish and some wording as below, describing the electrolytic method of cleaning.

3.Alternatively suggest twenty seconds in silver dip, followed by a rinse, dry and rub up, as I do now, followed by a caution about stones. Dennis.

Julian
12-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Frankly mild soap and water after wearing works wonders, but most important particularly with pearls, jewlery is last on first off. Especially after make up _and_ _perfume_ !

Juliacn