PDA

View Full Version : A couple of clay questions

jille
09-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Firstly hello, I haven't been here for a while, life has been hectic. I'm looking forward to catching up again.

A couple of questions has anyone tried the new sterling silver clay, how does it fair? Who sells it?

I'm playing with copper clay this week and I want to make my own headpins, I want to add the copper wire before firing, will it be ok and withstand the firing process?

While I'm on the subject of clay I'm making some ceramic clay bits n pieces, I use nichrome wire but don't particularly like the look, is there another wire I could use that would withstand firing to 1200C
thanks

Di Sandland
10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Jill, excuse me if I'm being stoopid (it has been known!) but why would you want to use copper clay to make headpins when it's so easy - and I know well within your capabilities - to ball up the end of the wire? Am I missing something or misunderstanding what it is you want to do?

And for your other question - I have read of hiqh-temp resisting niobium wire being used in industry. Not sure if it would be suitable or even available for home use but it might be worth a google?

xx

jille
10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Di, thanks for your reply, I'll have a look on the net for niobium wire.
I have made a tiny ammonite mould, and what I'd like to do is stick a wire in before firing so I don't have to make a hole in them. I'm going to do some shells as well. I'm having the next few weeks to play with stuff, I've really missed experimenting while I've been so busy

Kwant
10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I love the sound of niobium, so exotic. I rather thought the middlesex university site would have some but alas no. Firemountain gems seems to be the most accessible place to get the wire.

jille
10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I found this site but it's too expensive for my ceramic clay needs, I'll have to stick to nichrome
http://www.advent-rm.com/catalogue/lines.aspx?criteria=materialform&materialid=33&formid=17

Dennis
10-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Well Jille, I would try propelling pencil refills, possibly from Ryman, which come in 0.7mm and I think 0.9mm. They withstand heat and don't stick to metal. I have certainly use pieces for keeping hinge knuckles aligned when soldering. Dennis.

Tabby66
10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dennis.....a tip re hinges to tuck away for future reference!!

Kwant
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Not sure how that would help Dennis, if, given my understanding Jille wants a wire for a bail attached to the clay permanently not just a premade hole.

Dennis
10-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I have made a tiny ammonite mould, and what I'd like to do is stick a wire in before firing so I don't have to make a hole in them.

Sorry, I took this to mean Jillie was making beads but then, having made drilled beads it would be easy to solder in the corresponding size of wire.

Kwant
10-06-2012, 09:45 PM
ah hmmm yes you might be right Dennis

jille
10-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Great tip Dennis thank you.
I think I have managed to confuse everyone by asking too many questions in one post.
Firstly I want to make a headpin by sticking a piece of wire into a copperclay ammonite, i wondered if copper wire would hold up to the firing.

Secondly I'm looking for a wire to insert into porcelain clay that will fire up to 1200C, i use nichrome wire but it doesn't look very nice

Dennis
11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Fire your ceramic with a hole and fix in a wire of your choice with Araldite?

jille
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
that would look nicer Dennis, thanks