PDA

View Full Version : Toggle clasp for bracelet

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 12:16 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XMr63Iiu330sH8EDyrl4EA?authkey=Gv1sRgCNCJx-DJ44foQg&feat=directlink

As i didnt have a lot of time today i thought i would do a little to the bracelet i was working on at college. So i made some links and put them on (except for the end ones) havent soldered them yet, but what did occur to me was that i have not got a clasp for this bracelet. I really wanted it to be something i had made rather than shop bought, and i thought probably the easiest was a toggle. But as i hope you can see from the piccy (prays it works) its quite small and i dont want the clasp to overpower it. I am placing as i said before, a small cabuchon in the middle of the "bow" sections, and they are very tiny, so the overall appearance of the bracelet is delicate. I just wondered if you wouldnt mind giving me you opinion on a toggle and then, wondered if you had any ideas as to whether i could make one at home (and tell me how) or if i should wait til i go back to college at the end of september.

If you feel i have a cheek asking if it would look right i completely understand.

Also I want to put some tiny links around the double links and wondered if they will really need to be soldered as well as the double ones. I didnt make note of what solder i used to join the links on the ends of the bows and tears (daft I know) so i dont know whether to just use XE to be safe, as i know i didnt use that cos of it needing links in between, or whether i should use easy hoping i used hard originally, so that if i want to solder the tiny links onto the others, i can still use XE on them?

Sorry i need to keep a diary of what i have done on ongoing projects so that this doesnt happen again. Lesson learned:'(

julie
19-08-2009, 12:32 PM
i make my own toggles ( lampwork beaded bracelet in album ) much cheaper to do that then buy them ... your bracelet looks lovely su & look really nice with your own made toggle :D

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Out of interest Julie - is that bracelet a variation on my tutorial in Beads and Beyond a few months ago? The toggle certainly looks like it is!

MuranoSilver
19-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't use XE as it's not hallmark quality solder but you should be fine with easy :)

julie
19-08-2009, 01:59 PM
if you mean the silver jump ring & silver ball bracelet - yes great magazine to :Y: if you mean the lampwork one then no it's left over jumprings i soldered together

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, the captured ball one :)

It's always lovely to see someone using one of my tutorials - I sometimes wonder whether they actually do or not!

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Sorry, I never answered the original question!

Su', I think a toggle might be a bit too much for such a pretty and delicate design. If you want to keep it entirely handmade, how about a hook and eye clasp, which could mirror the design of the tear sections? Made in doubled wire, it would also fit very well with the link rings.

julie
19-08-2009, 02:51 PM

It's always lovely to see someone using one of my tutorials - I sometimes wonder whether they actually do or not!

i'm sure people do they buy the magazine for ideas & tutorials i like the bracelet very pretty but i do find i have to keep fixing it as it's a non-soldered bracelet or i'd be losing the balls :'(

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Oh dear! That shouldn't be happening. What temper did you use for the jump rings?

julie
19-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh dear! That shouldn't be happening. What temper did you use for the jump rings?

i had to look it up it suggested soft & half hard ??? but i only use half hard at college i can put up with playing with it a bit, when i wear it everyone loves it & so do i ... :D

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, if it starts annoying you, give me a shout and I'll send you some soldered rings in the smaller size :)

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys i just got back from weigh in and am pleased you didnt mind answering. Thanks Nic i will stick to easy :D, and thanks for the hook suggestion george :D the only concern i have is that seeing as its a bracelet and not a necklace, am i worrying unnecessarily that the hook could come undone? where as with a nacklace gravity would keep it taut?

Emerald
26-08-2009, 09:59 AM

This is the one mag i have kept on buying as the others are all quite basic. While googling the other day i found some lovely beads and your bracelet tutorial sprang to mind, so yes George i will deff be following it as captured ball is one of the ones i havent attempted yet.:Y:

Boo
26-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I use my own hooks and loops a lot on bracelets and necklaces and if you get the sizes just right, they don't come undone. I tend to use a hammered soldered ring on bracelets particularly and make the gap in the hook just the size that the loop has to go through it flat - edge on - and is just tight as you unfasten it, so in wear, it can't come open by itself.

Even held up so that the loop is sitting in the hook about to be unfastened it won't fall out, it has a little resistence, so actually needs removing manually. I've not had a customer report any issues and some over time have had many with the same clasps. If it's very fine and you have concerns, you could add a safety chain.

Like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/3511943303/
http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/jewellery/bracelet5447f.jpg

This is a finer one with a wrapped loop on a necklace: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/3858140635/in/photostream/

Could you make a clasp from another bow, with a hook bending back over itself onto the bow - a little like this commercial clasp from a leaf - the tendril becomes the hook:
http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/jewellery/bracelet3422f.jpg

nikki_d72
26-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Hiya George,

I've just been reading this thread and noticed mention of your tutorials in a mag? can you direct me to where I might find it please? I love maille work and yours is beautiful, I would love to learn more.
Hope you don't mind, sorry I don't know what tutorial you're referring to, I only joined yesterday.
Thanks,
Nikki.
:)

mizgeorge
26-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Nikki,
I write for a couple of magazines. The maille tutorials are in Beads and Beyond. I've had a couple of months break as I went away to get married, and then stupidly broke my wrist and ankle earlier this month, but there'll hopefully be more in the coming months!

nikki_d72
26-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks, George, I'll check that out.

Congrats on your marriage and commiserations on the breakages, hope he's a good nurse!!
Nikki