PDA

View Full Version : Ethics

Julian
27-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I have been given a diamond ring, it's a lady's engagement ring, from a relationship that flamed out long ago. She would like to scrap the gold and have the stones set in a new piece. Now I can make the piece and get the stones set, but the main 1/4 carat diamond is a mossinite! She believes it to be real, I suspect the jeweler who aparently was a friend at the time,may have even thought it to be real.

My feeling is to say nothing and leave her memories untarnished. In this case there is no money involved regarding the stones. She is getting back what she gave.

J

Goldsmith
27-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Be honest and tell her before you start the job, you may be giving her back what she gave you but what happens if someone else tells her about the main stone and then she accuses you of switching her stones.
Why risk the chance!!!

James

Julian
27-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Be honest and tell her before you start the job, you may be giving her back what she gave you but what happens if someone else tells her about the main stone and then she accuses you of switching her stones.
Why risk the chance!!!

James

Yes that was my fear. I thought about her being present, for the removal and reset. She is the kind of person that would enjoy that.

It is actually a very sad story, an she is a lovely lady that is rapidly becoming a vet close family friend. I just hate the idea of adding to the story.

I could refuse the job, but I am doing it at cost because frankly she can't afford it. What I could do is get her to go for an independant appraisal / grading before starting the job.... Insurance etc..... That way my diagnosis can be confirmed or not, and I am not the bearer of bad news.

Yes cop out

J

josef1
27-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I agree with Goldsmith above, you need to tell the Lady asap what you suspect. She will be more dissapointed if she thinks down the line her stone has been swapped.

Dennis
27-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I should do both: Say you're not sure it's a diamond and have her there for the change over. Even the nicest people will turn against you if their suspicions are aroused.

Many times I have heard someone say: I was just doing a favour and look where it's got me. Dennis.

Julian
27-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I have made a decision, i am going to take her and the ring for an appraisal. Before I start.

J

Tabby66
27-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Best option I think Julian, hope all goes as smoothly as possible.

Gemineer
28-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I have made a decision, i am going to take her and the ring for an appraisal. Before I start.

J

An awful dilemma but I do think you've probably found the best course of action, Julian.

Pauline
02-06-2012, 08:11 AM
I think you have made the right decision

Julian
05-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Well the diagnosis was confirmed, and she is not very happy. Me too for that matter, this is one occasion I would have liked to been wrong. Non the less she is thrilled by the other ring I did for her ( thanks Dennis). Let's see I think she will want to do some thing with it.

You guys were right, I knew it, just some time personal feeling come in to it.

Thanks

J

Kwant
05-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I suspect this is why, and I have read it so often, it is best not to touch stuff you did not make yourself, no matter how close the friend is. Glad it was resolved in the end and that you and your friend are still that, friends.

Melanie De Castro Pugh
16-06-2012, 05:33 AM
What a dilemma! Thought your solution was spot on, though.

Makes me wonder (again) what to do with my first engagement and wedding rings, a very nice 0.6 carat diamond set in a heavy platinum ring with a matching wedding ring, from Boodle & Dunthorne. Seems such a waste to leave it sparkling in the drawer...

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com