PDA

View Full Version : How much fairy liquid?

Lindyloo
18-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before in one of the many discussions on barrel polishers, but I seem to have missed it. I just received my new barrel polisher - well my first actually. :Y: And I don't know how much fairy liquid to add for lubrication. I'm not bothering with barrelling whatsit, as I splashed out on stainless shot. :confused:

The Bijou Dragon
18-08-2009, 10:22 PM
One teeeeeny tiny drop is all I use, after two hours there's enough foam in there to fill the barrel!

Lindyloo
18-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks Bijou :Y:

mizgeorge
18-08-2009, 10:28 PM
If you must use fairy liquid (I don't like it - a kilo of barrelling compound is only just over a tenner and lasts forever) please make sure it's the bog standard variety with no additives or fragrance. Lots of these include 'oxi' ingredients, which often include chlorine bleach and will tarnish silver horribly, and also damage the inside of the barrel.

Even with stainless shot, be careful to either store it under water, or make sure it's perfectly dry before putting it away.

Ominicci
19-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Oh George I didn't know that about the washing up liquid!! I have still got some barrelling compound from when I bought the barrel to poilsh PMC so I use that anyway (you're right - I only got 500g and it has lasted ages!).

Something else I did read somewhere was not to mixed oxidised silver with un-oxidised silver in the barrel, and to use a completely separate barrel and shot for oxidised as it can turn un-oxidsed silver a grey colour??

caroleallen
19-08-2009, 06:28 AM
I agree with George. Barrelbrite is designed for the job and does last forever.

mizgeorge
19-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh George I didn't know that about the washing up liquid!! I have still got some barrelling compound from when I bought the barrel to poilsh PMC so I use that anyway (you're right - I only got 500g and it has lasted ages!).

Something else I did read somewhere was not to mixed oxidised silver with un-oxidised silver in the barrel, and to use a completely separate barrel and shot for oxidised as it can turn un-oxidsed silver a grey colour??

I don't mix freshly oxidised and plain silver in the same batch to polish, but happily use the same shot and barrel as long as it's been washed out afterwards.

Lindyloo
19-08-2009, 08:06 PM
OMG. Is everything so complicated? Okay, okay, I will get some barrelling whatsit. I have only cleaned out the barrel so far. I have to visit Cooksons soon anyway. :Y:

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 08:23 PM
i would love to be able to visit cooksons but my bank balance would hate it lol

Lindyloo
19-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't get too excited. I have to be very controlled these days, and I only have to go to get some supplies to teach the littlies at school. Nothing for myself.... honest. :^o