PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Mill

MeadMoon
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Some time ago I bought the Cooksons value rolling mill, but have only just got around to buying some fixing bolts so haven't really used it. I set it up today and tried texturing some copper but found that the rollers are not parallel. Please could you tell me how to adjust them?

Also, are there instructions for how to change the rollers for when/if I get around to doing that.

Apologies for the numpty questions, I'm more of an electrical engineer than a mechanical one.

Thanks in advance.

sonia
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
There are some instructions on the product information page on the cookies website to download - should answer your queries.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Combination-Rolling-Mill-With-5-Rollers-Cookson-Value-Range-prcode-999-AXWA

Sonia

x

mizgeorge
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
In simple terms, you just need to remove the top (turning) handle, then adjust a cog on one side only and refit the handle when they're parallel. Either use a piece of metal of a known thickness, or a feeler gauge to be sure they're properly aligned.

It's pretty much the same thing you do to change the rollers, but just the first step.

MeadMoon
10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you Sonia & George, that's very helpful :) I'm not sure how I managed to miss that download when looking at the page earlier.

Melanie De Castro Pugh
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I got one a couple of months ago and love it. Tried texturing some 2mm sheet copper with it before bolting it down, looked like the two of us were wrestling with a Transformer...

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

louisella76
13-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Tried texturing some 2mm sheet copper with it before bolting it down, looked like the two of us were wrestling with a Transformer...

Lol I can relate to that! I haven't bolted mine down yet as likely to be moving house in the summer. It's an interesting learning curve trying to hold the mill still whilst turning ;)

Wallace
13-05-2012, 10:44 AM
you could always try a G-Clamp as a temporary solution.

MeadMoon
14-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Brilliant idea Wallace! I've only managed to get it held down by one bolt so far, and a G-clamp should prevent the mill from twisting... What I really need is a proper work bench.

Tabby66
14-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I have mine screwed down on one of these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70011793/and next to the wall, very sturdy and reasonably priced, works a treat!!

MeadMoon
09-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Woohoo! I'm getting one of the Ikea trolleys for my birthday! Can't wait. In the meantime, the mill is all adjusted and working perfectly. Thank you Tabby!

Tabby66
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
OOooooH!! The trolley is great!! You'll be really pleased with it I'm sure!! (I hope!!!!!)......it was a very good discovery ;D...............never thought I'd be so pleased with a bit of 'furniture'!!

snow_imp
11-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I use an ikea trolley as my solder station/bench peg holder - and with some cutlery trays on the 2 shelves, it also holds a load of the "smaller" tools such as files etc. Very useful!