PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonics

mari eluned
09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Hello, me again!
I'm looking into buying an ultasonic machine. I have been using a mixture of ammonia, washing up liquid and hot water.
Is it worth buing an ultrasnonic, and if so will the £30 / £40 ones do the job?! I would only need a small one..!
Thank you in advance! :)

Dennis
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Essentially ultrasonics work in liquids by cavitation, in other words the formation of lots of little bubbles, which act as a detergent to remove unwanted deposits. you still need a suitable solution, which you are using already, so the best you can hope for is that the process is speeded up.

The better machines have a timer and heater. I suspect some of the cheaper ones only vibrate, but not ultrasonically. Of course if you used non waxy polishing compounds you might not need one at all. Dennis.

art925
09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
My main suggestion would be if you can stretch the cash buy one with the heater.

Les

josef1
09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I feel it depends on how much you will be using it some of the cheaper units heat up too much (this is normal) from pretty constant use and the ultrasonic bit becomes disconnected from the bath stopping them from working.I love my ultrasonic its really great gives a nice clean feel to the jewellery and gets all the yukki stuff from around stones and settings. I use an amonia based detergent I got with the ultrasonic it smells but works really well, I have heard of dish washer liquid been used but never tried this,Has anyone if so how well does it work ?

lilia
10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Although, I am looking to buy one myself and not the best person to advise on this matter, I head that the ones without the heater are just a waste of money.

t1ggerk1ns
10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I have had a 'cheap' ultrasonic cleaner for a long time. It does not have a heater, and I do not buy the expensive cleaning solutions. I bought it when I used to deal in second hand jewellery, and some of the stuff was so filthy there was no way you could sell it on. In fact some of the rings made you wonder what people had been doing with them.
I have always used a mixture of washing up liquid, bicarbonate of soda and I use near boiling water. That way you don't have to bother about the heater.