PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Oxygen bottles?

Stevie M
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
1st question from a Newbie.
I've just got a Smith Little Torch, and after looking into it a bit I was wondering on the most cost effective way of getting the Oxygen. The Propane's no problem, I've got a bottle from when we had a caravan, and can get that changed at garages and places, but I'm not sure whether to go the BOC route ( with the yearly bottle rental etc), there's an agent here, or try to find the smaller disposable bottles.
I'm not sure how much I'll be using it, at least to start with.
Any thoughts on this? and any ideas where to get disposables, or alternatives to BOC? Bearing in mind I'm half in the middle of nowhere Down in North Cornwall.
Cheers.

ps_bond
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
If not BOC, then the 2 alternatives that spring to mind are either an oxygen concentrator (non-medical refurb from http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/p66_oxygen_concentrator.html ) or an exchange/refill deal such as http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Welding/Refillable_Oxygen_Cylinder.html . The dinky Rothernberger-type bottles are IMO a waste of money - very low pressure and limited runtime.

Not that I use it yet, but I've been mulling the idea for smaller stuff.

art925
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi Stevie M, welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the Little Torch, but I suspect that the couplings will not automatically fit disposable bottles. I know many people on this forum use the Little Torch with a BOC contract. Up until just recently I used a propane / O2 system that was dedicated to disposable bottles after calculating that my last years spend on O2 alone was over 250.00euros, I opted for the Oxygen Concentrator; it is safer than large O2 bottles and over time more cost effective the initial outlay is about 200.00 GBP, but then only the electicity to run the oxycon. You will find information on this system via this forum, type oxycon or oxygen concentrator in the search tab above.

Good luck!

Lesley

Wallace
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Have you thought about getting an oxycon? It is a retired oxygen concentrating maching. The cost is less over the years and safer as the big badda boom risk is reduced. MizGeorge has the full info on them, and can give more to help you understand. To get an idea you could try Tuffnells (http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d28_tuffnellglass.com.html#p66) or Off Mandrel (http://off-mandrel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_122&products_id=797). Seriously over the years it will pay for itself and only uses a small 2ft footprint.

It runs my Little smith beautifully.

1st question from a Newbie.
I've just got a Smith Little Torch, and after looking into it a bit I was wondering on the most cost effective way of getting the Oxygen. The Propane's no problem, I've got a bottle from when we had a caravan, and can get that changed at garages and places, but I'm not sure whether to go the BOC route ( with the yearly bottle rental etc), there's an agent here, or try to find the smaller disposable bottles.
I'm not sure how much I'll be using it, at least to start with.
Any thoughts on this? and any ideas where to get disposables, or alternatives to BOC? Bearing in mind I'm half in the middle of nowhere Down in North Cornwall.
Cheers.

Tabby66
01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi Stevie,
I've had oxygen cyliders from BOC for a couple of years now, BUT my re-furbed oxycon unit arrived from Tuffnels today :-D!!!! I only ordered it yesterday :-D I have a Smiths little torch to run from it, hoping to get it all set up tomorrow!! For info, I had problems with household insurance due to O2 cylinders..................
Let us know what you decide ;-)

Wallace
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
you will love it

It will need a pre-warm up before each use to get the oxy to build up - but then you are off - I seriously think George is a genious for finding and pointing this out. My soldering, melting and all flame related activities are so more refined... even my lovely Orca torch has not been used for a while.... although any impending power cut may recitify that one! lol

Enjoy the new arrival

Hi Stevie,
I've had oxygen cyliders from BOC for a couple of years now, BUT my re-furbed oxycon unit arrived from Tuffnels today :-D!!!! I only ordered it yesterday :-D I have a Smiths little torch to run from it, hoping to get it all set up tomorrow!! For info, I had problems with household insurance due to O2 cylinders..................
Let us know what you decide ;-)

medusa
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I was actually about to sell my little torch because I couldn't get oxygen for it (I'm near lands end) but George came to my rescue and soon I should be taking delivery of an oxycon :D

Tabby66
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I haven't had chance to set it up yet, but think I have everything I need and can't wait until the weekend to get it sorted, heehee!!
Thanks for the tip Wallace, does it take very long??
xx

Wallace
03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I haven't had chance to set it up yet, but think I have everything I need and can't wait until the weekend to get it sorted, heehee!!
Thanks for the tip Wallace, does it take very long??
xx
yay - nearly the weekend! :o

only needs about a minute.. :popcorn: also, I have had to turn down the oxy power, or it is too strong and the flame burns out........ takes a little practice, keep a sparker handy. lol and ENJOY :-D

Kwant
03-05-2012, 09:56 PM
grrrr those sparker things only come with the kit here in France and they do not sell the flints, idiots. I see I can get the flints on Amazon but sigh postage makes it cheaper to just buy a new sparker thing. I am not the most recyclable creature but some things get my goat.

Wallace
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
grrrr those sparker things only come with the kit here in France and they do not sell the flints, idiots. I see I can get the flints on Amazon but sigh postage makes it cheaper to just buy a new sparker thing. I am not the most recyclable creature but some things get my goat.
Cornelius, I am happy to get you some and send them over :o)

Kwant
03-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Your on, of course I like them to be delivered by hand so I can inspect each flint, which might have been the stumbling block before but hey you will get tea and scones (home made) :0)

Wallace
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Your on, of course I like them to be delivered by hand so I can inspect each flint, which might have been the stumbling block before but hey you will get tea and scones (home made) :0)

Well, there's your problem! lolololol

no worries, pm your addy and the preferred flints. I can always take a macro.... but...........tea and scones........... almost as good as a sphene! ;o)

Stevie M
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone, that's great. I'll probably go for one of those.

mizgeorge
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
If you don't fancy the oxycon route - which is by far the easiest and most economical (in the long run) I know, you might look into http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/ as an alternative for occasional use - much cheaper than a BOC contract.

Exsecratio
25-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Please excuse me jumping in but do Crafts people like you guys use the Electro/Gas generation welders still? the industry I'm in does as edge polishers for plastics.

I have one that runs on water :) MEK is used for flame temperature control and once switched off there is no gas of any kind, the Oxy Hydrogen Flame runs to 2,000 C at it's highest setting and came with 12 to 16 nozzles as I recall.

Just wondered if you guys (and Ladies of course) use them in the Jewellery trade still?

best wishes

Dave

Exsecratio
25-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh as a quick bit of info, A laser cutting company I used to deal with in Poland had a full spec oxy bottle go bang.

This was the result:

3 Dead, 4 critically injured and a flattened 2 storey building. The restrictions on storage, insurance and location for high pressure gasses are quite extreme (and with good reason) having one at home wil almost certainly invalidate any insurance. Even transporting them requires HazChem notices on the vehicle.

best wishes

Dave

medusa
26-05-2013, 09:02 AM
dear lord! My mum has oxygen at home.

Exsecratio
26-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi Medusa,

If it's a medical cylinder they can still cause problems but are nowhere near as dangerous as industrial cylinders. One of the biggest dangers is oil, mineral oil is basically a hydrocarbon, when it reaches an O2 saturation of 24 to 26% (air is 21%) it will spontaneously ignite.
That's the reason oil and several other things should not be used in or on Oxygen equipment.

O2 itself is not flammable, it simply supports burning in other things.

Please , please, if anybody is not sure how to handle or use high pressure Oxygen bottles ask the local fire prevention officer to visit (fire stations all have one) they are fantastic people who would rather give you 30 minutes now explaining it all rather than 30 days later trying to identify you.

best wishes

Dave

medusa
26-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm more reassured. and at least she's stopped smoking now :)