PDA

View Full Version : Custom / precision cuts

Julian
24-04-2012, 07:22 PM
In another thread I mentioned the cut of a stone taking into account he refractive index of the gemstone material. In the US particularly, but around e world as well there are cutters the take pride in custom cutting. The results are amazing, as is the price! I'll let Uli Zeisberg explained it better than I can;

http://www.osirisgems.com/precision_cutting

Hear is what he did with some quartz

http://www.osirisgems.com/images/RauCit14.53_1.JPG

Hear are some US Links;

http://tucsongemshow.blogspot.com/2010/01/michael-dyber-american-wins-idar.html
http://www.johndyergems.com/awards.html

medusa
24-04-2012, 07:28 PM
that is stunning! it almost looks like it could be... well not real!

Dennis
24-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I had something similar from Marcus McCallum a while back in pale amethyst, which originated in South America. Unfortunately I can only show a scan from my photo album.

There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.

Wallace
24-04-2012, 09:14 PM
There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.

lol - our tutor would have made a fun remark I am sure. Not sure where this came from, but he included this with our lightning tour of stone setting.

the setters eye test (an instructive set of reminders we were given) said this:

The sloppy setters tools:
1 blunt chisel
2 bent nail
3 heavy hammer
4 Arekdeute (large size)
5 Superglue (for urgent jobs)
6 Frosted eye glass
7 plastice padding (to fill in mistakes)
8 sun glasses (as dark as possible)

I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..

Devcon is great - keeps things stuck for years!

ps_bond
25-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..

I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.

My other use for CA is to glue fancy stones onto metal, table down, then hit them with a blast of CA accelerator. The stones can then be scribed around for subsequent seat cutting, then the CA dissolved away in acetone. Obvious caveats apply - won't work well with asymmetric, dyed or porous stones and involves the use of VOCs...

Wallace
25-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.

I was given the advice by a local A&E after a visit. Again it is only as an emergency and only after a cleaned out wound and only if it is no bigger than 1 mm. But Dermabond would of course be the best option.

ps_bond
25-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I was given the advice by a local A&E after a visit.

Tsk, tsk - they normally go for "do as I say not as I do" :) But equally, I've used gaffer tape to fix a dressing for a scalp wound before now. Worked like a charm - but there's a difference between what's taught & officially allowed (and covered by insurance) and what is field-expedient.

Wallace
25-04-2012, 10:06 PM
.... I've used gaffer tape to fix a dressing for a scalp wound before now. Worked like a charm - but there's a difference between what's taught & officially allowed (and covered by insurance) and what is field-expedient.

owwwwweee! Not sure I should ask? But.....

I reckon they must have become fed up in the early days of my learning and constant near misses with a saw and my finger tips (I am talking seven years ago and community hospitals) lol
I don't have medical insurance via a private company, only the national insurance I pay for - so it could be a bit of a hit and miss there too, I feel, sometimes.

Kwant
26-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Peter what is a CA accelerator is it necessary or can you just wait? And good to know about the acetone removing it.

ps_bond
26-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Not necessary, but it is handy. My last lot came from Axminster (http://www.axminster.co.uk/zap-zap-zip-kicker-prod23701/) (and it stinks, by the way!). Acetone is an effective superglue remover, but you really shouldn't use it on skin (actually, that one's a bit worse for you than my "you shouldn't superglue wounds").

Kwant
26-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks. I'm now going to try to remove a heap of the stuff I got all over the sides of some perspex blocks I glued together the other day :0)

ps_bond
26-04-2012, 12:20 PM
That should be interesting. Will it be your intention to dissolve the Perspex too? :D

Kwant
26-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Ha funny you should say that Peter as I did read, before I used the glue, that acetone would stick it together, it did not and did not mark it in anyway, so I assume it is not actually perspex but some other hard very clear plastic. As it is now, the four little slabs I glued together are clean of the superglue with no damage to where I used the acetone.