PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham School of Jewellery Summer courses!

DaynaC
24-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Anyone else going to any of these? I'm pretty excited!

ps_bond
24-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Which one - or ones - are you going to?

Wallace
24-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Which one - or ones - are you going to?
lol - there are one or two mentioned!

oh.... no mustn't look...........okay, a quickie!

nom, nom........ lots of courses to eat into my bank account!

caroleallen
24-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm doing the wax carving one.

Wallace
24-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm doing the wax carving one.

tried my wee piggy - he is all oinked out and won't squeal any more. The last course and subsequent essential new toys, erm I mean tools has me now going back to the books and bench for a few months - but some seriously lovely courses are being covered. Enjoy your milliput Carole.

DaynaC
30-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm going on six! Jeez, way too greedy. I'm doing the stonesetting, hand engraving, silversmithing 4 day workshop, day of soldering, day of enamelling, and the microfolding and argentium silver masterclass - so far all confirmed except hand engraving and the silversmithing workshop, hope they get enough students! I'm over in NI so coming to Birmingham should be a blast.

ps_bond
30-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Good grief! I do a 5 day course and I need to decompress afterwards - I've invariably spent my time bouncing off the walls. That was one good thing (for me) about the stone setting course I did; split over 10 evenings gave me plenty of time to get practice in between sessions.

caroleallen
30-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Good grief! I do a 5 day course and I need to decompress afterwards - I've invariably spent my time bouncing off the walls. That was one good thing (for me) about the stone setting course I did; split over 10 evenings gave me plenty of time to get practice in between sessions.

Blimey! Excuse my ignorance, but where's NI?

Oh is it Northern Ireland? If so, blimey again!

Wallace
30-04-2012, 07:38 PM
looking at the one 23-27th July - oh, please little piggy bank, one more little squeak!

Shauket01
11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Great Information I am interested to join jewellery course at next summer,but I want to know about brief detail of crystal jewellery courses.
Thanks.

SJEgan
16-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Out of curiosity how where the courses? Would you recommend? I'm trying to find a good stone setting course asap, my skills are really lacking!

Didi
16-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi there
how did you find out about the courses. I can't seem to navigate their website?
Did i

silken
16-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I can't find any details of summer courses for 2013 yet but the link below has a list of 'short' courses available. It does list the summer short courses but there is no brochure or list of course titles. There are some short courses listed but these run over the space of a whole academic year and are one class a week. Hope this helps:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/biad/jewellery/courses?type=4

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/biad/jewellery/courses/summer-short-courses-at-the-school-of-jewellery---overview

Tabby66
16-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Think the summer courses are published closer to the time each year.....I've never done any there, so can't comment.

SJEgan
16-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Ye annoyingly they're not up yet, I really really wanted to do stone setting last year but finances got in the way so hoping to sign up for some classes somewhere maybe over Easter or something, not sure I can wait till summer! ...But I can hopefully do more then :)

Moon Willow
16-02-2013, 10:54 PM
To my knowledge the dates for the summer courses at Birmingham's School of Jewellery are due out soon, if you can't wait ring Dawn Meaden-Johnson at the JIIC,

I usually Teach 4 days covering Jewellery (The making of) and 1 day silver soldering....

I'll give Dawn a call on Monday and hopefully come back with some useful info...

Carlton :cool:

silken
17-02-2013, 12:40 AM
I really wanted to do a stone setting course also but I read last years brochure and was a bit apprehensive because all the setting is done using pre-cast rings (that goes for both the beginner one and the improver one as far as I could gather). I was hoping for something covering more about fabricating settings as this is the area I'd really love to improve.

I'd definitely like to do at least one course there though. Maybe something gemstone related.

ps_bond
17-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Traditionally, mount making is a different discipline. IIRC, there are 2 separate City & Guilds courses - one for mount making, the other for setting. When I did the course with Tom, he also offered one in mount making.

SJEgan
17-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Hmmm interesting I had presumed you would learn how to make some of the settings at least, I need to learn better how to set anyway though so still relevant to me.

Does anyone know if this course and place are any good?

http://www.londonjewelleryschool.co.uk/silver-jewellery/stone-setting-in-silver-2-days/

Moon Willow
18-02-2013, 08:05 PM
The JIIC will be releasing the summer course brochure on March 6th in PDF form and anyone requiring information should contact:

Dawn Meaden-Johnson
Short Course Co-ordinator
T: # 44 (0) 121 248 4584 : Mon/Tue/Thurs 9am to 2.30pm
Birmingham City University, Jewellery Industry Innovation Centre & School of Jewellery, Hockley, B1

[email] dawn.meaden-johnson@bcu.ac.uk

I know they have the occasional sample classes (1 day) that cover some of the subjects so it's worth contacting the person who knows (see above) and explain exactly what you're looking for...

Regards
Carlton :cool:

Tabby66
18-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Traditionally, mount making is a different discipline. IIRC, there are 2 separate City & Guilds courses - one for mount making, the other for setting. When I did the course with Tom, he also offered one in mount making.

This is my experience too. Model / mount making is my area of interest and completely separate from actually setting..........I took a lot of convincing......................but, though I enjoy and have an interest (and desire) to set stones well.......you cannot be an expert at everything............I enjoy my saw piercing and making more......