PDA

View Full Version : Foredom Hammer Action hand Piece

Lindy
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have one of these? I am thinking of investing in one. I want to use it for simple line and pattern engraving under enamel. I also understand it can be used for stone setting.

ps_bond
12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
The standard one isn't really designed to be used as a powered engraver (although I'll see if it does an adequate job over the weekend if you like); the Foredom Powergraver is their offering for that. The micromotor hammer handpiece comes with attachments to accept reduced-shank gravers although I've yet to actually try it for that - as I use an Airgraver, I've less need for that functionality in a hammer handpiece.

As for stone setting, the hammer handpiece is great for moving metal for e.g. flush setting of fancy stones; it allows you to use one hand, rather than having both holding hammer + punch for the work.

ps_bond
12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
And it's not even the weekend yet...

The micromotor hammer handpiece has a nose that accepts the anvil points. This nose unscrews to accept the graver holder. The nose on the flex shaft hammer handpiece does not.

In use - for the 30s or so I tried it - it's a bit strange. Easy enough to cut lines with it (and pop out at the end of the cut), but if you turn the power up too high the impacts tend to cause the point to jump about a bit. This may in part be due to the micromotor handpiece only striking when it is in contact with the work - if it's not, it won't drive the graver forward.

If you want a relatively inexpensive powered graver, there's the MagnaGraver kit from NGraver (http://www.ngraver.com/engrave.htm); that fits a Foredom flex shaft. GRS do the Series 3 (but you'll need a compressor, same as for the Airgraver, GraverMax et al); I've not seen that in the flesh, but the pro engravers don't seem to rate it.