PDA

View Full Version : graphite

vernon
06-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I am about to build what the Americans call a coffee can furnace, for casting silver into graphite moulds, (molds in America) does anyone know where I can get graphite blocks? . I will try to take build pictures and see what the results are.

Dennis
06-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Here's my friend Google. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=15&gs_id=le&xhr=t&q=Graphite+Blocks&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Graphite+Blocks&aq=0&aqi=g3g-v1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=277d1bcc24ee76c4&biw=1280&bih=649.
Do let us know more when you've set it up. Dennis.

ps_bond
06-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I picked up an assortment on EBay a while back. Occasionally you see them by the pallet-load, but I've managed to resist so far.

vernon
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I think I may have located the Graphite for free, my brother in law worked in a university workshop and still KNOWS someone there. I will see how it goes.

vernon
17-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I have tried a first firing and melted quite a few grams in a very short time, still awaiting graphite so cannot gravity cast as yet. I have taken progress pictures during the build and will upload when managed to cast, if It works!!!

vernon
22-04-2012, 03:43 PM
first results are good I have created a word document with run through, managed to cast a 15 by 25 by 4 mm ingot and will try columns next.
Is there a way to upload the word document?

Wallace
22-04-2012, 04:10 PM
first results are good I have created a word document with run through, managed to cast a 15 by 25 by 4 mm ingot and will try columns next.
Is there a way to upload the word document?

Hi Vernon,

it looks very good.

You could try going to an advanced reply and click on the 'attach files' button. I uploaded a pdf doing it that way recently. it is the one to the right of the smiley and left for the undo/redo buttons

kindest

Wallace

vernon
23-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks wallace I cannot upload as word or PDF due to the size limit, however I have a full PDF available if people want to e-mail me.

ScottyC
26-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Vernon
What sort of thing are you trying to cast?

Scott

vernon
26-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I am casting silver for then rolling or drawing into wire, but I think you could carve the mould for other shapes, much like cuttlefish but re-usable. See new thread for an update.

ScottyC
05-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi Vernon
Why don't you just buy one of the adjustable ingot moulds you can then adjust it to the width of bar you need to work with.
as for carving into graphite never used it for a mould, if its a one off i use cuttlefish you cant go wrong with it.
i use graphite crucibles for casting they burn away through time.
just seems like a lot of effort to carve into graphite for it to burn away, you would be better making a master and then using cuttlefish to make your jewellery
that way you will always have the master to us anytime you need it., you can get very good detail with cuttlefish and it takes minutes to make a mould with a bit of practice.

Scott