View Full Version : Small metal ruler request

04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
OK this is a small matter but I use my small metal ruler many times every day . .

Would you be able to source a metal ruler with cm / mm measurements on both edges of one side of the ruler both measured from the same end? I used to have one and only realised how wonderful it was when it went awol.

I never use inches for this kind of length (and have a tape measure for longer lengths eg to measure chains which is about my only need for inches).

Also whilst its useful to have conversion tables for in / mm but I really don't need it on a ruler. I need measurements.


04-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Preferably with engraved marks rather than a shallow surface mark (i.e. something I can stick divider points into). .5mm increments at the least, too.

How long were you thinking of? 150mm or something shorter? (I nearly wrote 6" :) )

04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Its the 6"* 150mm one I was meaning.

And yes, engraved marks are masses better!

*haha - Cooksons forum not caught up with the delights of 'strikethrough'.

04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Is Cooksons 999 576 no good then? If so, I'm probably missing something. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=6%27%27+Ruler&queryFromSuggest=true. Dennis.

04-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Amazon sell one with metric on one flat side and imperial on the other flat side, that is with metric on both edges of one side which is what I think you want, see; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rabone-64R-Rustless-Rule-150MM/dp/B0001IWEQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333553451&sr=8-3


04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Brilliant - thanks Goldsmith! :) *

Dennis - I just received a 999 576 and it has on one face cm / mm and inches and a load of blurb on the back. That's what prompted this plea.

* Just checked this Amazon listing - 7.18!!

04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I note that the review says the markings may rub off... Does that suggest shallow etching then?

04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm sure my original ruler as I describe in my first post came from Cooksons and the one used as an image for 999 576 isn't exactly the one I received so it seems things have been on the move.

Could anyone form Cooksons give us any input, maybe on the possibility of reverting to the good old days when a simple ruler was of good quality and what we need?

. . please??

04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=Somersetmaker;Dennis - I just received a 999 576 and it has on one face cm / mm and inches and a load of blurb on the back. That's what prompted this plea.[/QUOTE]

Well, mine is innocent of all those faults, but it is very old (like me). If you're unhappy, why not try Walshes TR416. They are good for tools and the illustration has their name engraved on it. 1.66+VAT. Dennis.

04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the tip Dennis. :)

I wish my old one had never escaped!