PDA

View Full Version : rivets please?

taylordebs
31-03-2012, 06:19 PM
where can i buy smallish rivets for cold connection jewellery please? Aluminium preferred ta

theresa
31-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi - I saw some on Palmer Metals site but they are not cheap. Easier to make your own
Theresa

Wallace
31-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi, in total agreement with Theresa, definitely much easier to make your own - either wire or tube rivets. You can cut them to size more readily if you make them too. Let us know if you need any advice on doing that - pleanty of people here to help out.

Dennis
31-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Aluminium rod and tube are freely available from model shops. If you don’t have one available near you, then try here: http://www.modelshop.co.uk/search,l.html?q=aluminium+rod.

It will be useful to have the following tools available:

1. A set of drills to match your rivets closely, and a machine to operate them. It helps to drill down onto a block of wood.
2. A jeweller’s saw and a screw-on bench peg, possibly with an anvil.
3. A Joint filing tool/ Chenier cutter with a guide, to cut rivets of even length. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=joint+filing+tool
4. A small ball-pein hammer.
5. A variety of punches to shape the heads, or open the tube ends.

Luckily the material is cheap, so you will soon find your own special version. Below my puzzle cuff project with cold connections, Dennis

taylordebs
24-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Many thanks!

theresa
26-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I saw a demo on YouTube by Tim McCreight - just type in his name/cold connections or similar and wait for the list which will be long..... I have found some very useful demos on YT - brilliant!
Theresa

Wallace
26-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I saw a demo on YouTube by Tim McCreight - just type in his name/cold connections or similar and wait for the list which will be long..... I have found some very useful demos on YT - brilliant!
Theresa

there are also some great and fun guides by Nancy L T Hamilton on there too.