PDA

View Full Version : The Multi-Stranded Bangle.

Dennis
27-03-2012, 10:04 AM
When I first started, my head was full of way out images, so it is only now that I am attempting some of the basics. Here is a multi-stranded bangle made from ten rings of 1.2mm silver wire, each looped through the ones before.

Ideally they would have been welded, but for soldering I made a special tool with clips, on the lines suggested by James Miller, from two strips of stainless steel. The clips have extensions which were riveted in the shape of a cross using a piece of wire from a coat hanger. This has the advantage of avoiding waste and the resulting, rather stiff hinge allows for adjustment.

The wire rings were first soldered separately and rounded on a mandrel. Then they were cut, assembled , re-soldered one at a time and hammered again. By using hard drawn wire, easy solder, and the new tool as a heat sink, only a short length of wire was softened by heating.

I purposely used surplus solder, thinking that the little nodes would be a design feature to distinguish it from just a reel of wire, which of course it is. That’s my story anyhow. Dennis.

mizgeorge
27-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I like that very much Dennis. I make a lot of intertwined bangles, bur rarely with as many strands as that!

I'm a little concerned about your friend, however....

RubyRoo
27-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes the friend looks a bit spineless!

Tabby66
27-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't worry Ruby, he's 'armless really..........................well somebody had to...................[-o<

Dennis
28-03-2012, 12:27 PM
It's a she actually; she's been a pillar of strength and I wooden be without her.

How about the new tool then, derived from James' clips? It could have been a real hassle matching up the wire ends without it. Take a bow, James.

medusa
29-03-2012, 11:21 AM
gorgeous bangle and the clips look great. where do you get stainless steel like that? can you just adapt something?

Dennis
29-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Mine was cut from an unwanted letter box flap, Liz, but You can buy some here, I think:http://www.plhillsales.com/productlist.asp?Type=Phosphor. Dennis

medusa
29-03-2012, 11:33 AM
sadly the letter box flap I have sitting in my workshop awaiting 're-purposing' is brass. I must get sorted with some of those doo-dahs.

Patstone
30-03-2012, 06:01 AM
gorgeous bangle and the clips look great. where do you get stainless steel like that? can you just adapt something?

I got my stainless steel for clamps from :-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/met-all-fab/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=1006412244&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

If you buy the 1mm thick, it is quite difficult to cut, it can be cut with a 0 grade saw blade in a jewellers saw, but it takes ages. When the clip is made and bent to shape, I find that it is quite difficult to open, so the last lot I made with 0.8mm thick stainless which I could cut with shears and open quite easily, and they did the job very well.

medusa
30-03-2012, 05:37 PM
ahhh thanks for that! maybe my soldering will start to improve! :)

Goldsmith
31-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I buy my stainless sheet from here; http://metaloffcuts.co.uk/shop/316-stainless-sheet.html

Cerflun Designs
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Sorry, I have to say this, but I originally read this post as "The Multi-Stranded Beagle". Needless to say, I was intrigued! :rofl:

And yes, Dennis, your multi-stranded beagle is beautifully executed!

Kwant
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
That would be Snoopy :0)

Cerflun Designs
06-04-2012, 08:35 PM
That would be Snoopy :0)

LOL Kwant! :dance:

Dennis
06-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry, I have to say this, but I originally read this post as "The Multi-Stranded Beagle". Needless to say, I was intrigued! :rofl:
And yes, Dennis, your multi-stranded beagle is beautifully executed!

Doggone- I was a London evacuee in beautiful Wales during WW2, so any mention of Wales makes my eyes go misty. Dennis.

Kwant
06-04-2012, 09:14 PM
hmmm at that age I would be inclined to think cataracts :P

the mistiness I mean :0)

Cerflun Designs
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Doggone- I was a London evacuee in beautiful Wales during WW2, so any mention of Wales makes my eyes go misty. Dennis.

Well, it's definitely misty here, Dennis. Approximately 360/365 days of the year, LOL! I live at the top of a mountain, so it's pretty much always misty or cloudy. Or raining. Or sleeting. Or... well, you get the picture! Beautiful when dry, anyways :-)

Cerflun Designs
06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
hmmm at that age I would be inclined to think cataracts :P

the mistiness I mean :0)

*sniggers heartily* that's what I said o my husband when he complained! Turns out it *was* cataracts, LOL!

Cerflun Designs
06-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, it's definitely misty here, Dennis. Approximately 360/365 days of the year, LOL! I live at the top of a mountain, so it's pretty much always misty or cloudy. Or raining. Or sleeting. Or... well, you get the picture! Beautiful when dry, anyways :-)

But the beauty around me is so inspirational. I'm currently working on a project inspired by nature and the wild. It's full of tumbling rocks and imitations of rock strata, rock pools and wooded hills. So peaceful :-)