PDA

View Full Version : as I am so chatty this evening

Kwant
18-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Do you think it possible you could stock radial discs individually without the mandrel, Having just been mugged by Suttons for six of the buggers at 95 pence each ( which is fine) but 6 pounds postage for an envelope which arrived with a 78 pence stamp!!!!! might be nice to be able to buy them from my preferred supplier i.e Cooksons but not in packs of assorted colours and not for 5 quid for three on a mandrel.

Wallace
18-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi Kwant,

I am not totally happy with Suttons (or a particular assay office in the same locality). Suttons take ages to send things out(yay Cookies are very quick even without next day delivery I can guarantee that I will have my item sooner rather than later) - I am sure I got my radial discs without a mandrel from Rashbels - but they often have stock issues. Another place I have sourced in the past has been woodwork craft supplier (http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94_101_147) But agaom there is a postage issue.......... so, Cookies, come on and get this sorted so we can get these from you instead of any competion. :)

good luck with your next purchase. Love your work - The Cupids bow and arrow is genius.

Kwant
18-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey Wallace, never seen Rashbels have radial discs but will have a look, LOL they are often out of stock of lots of things and the last thing I ordered from them arrived ready tarnished ( wire, which was easy enough to clean but kind of a surprise).

I have bookmarked your link and will find out how much they want for postage of what amounts to a stampsworth, I had to to use gem scales to weigh one :0)

Wallace
18-02-2012, 01:07 AM
lol - I know what you mean - but they do have a lovely way about them, one could almost forgive them! lol If you call they will get the stuff and whilst you are on the call mention the need for delivery yesterday - all in the Best possible taste of course.

I got my micromotor from the woodwork peeps, very quick and kept me informed of things - just like Cookies

lol - challenge Cookies to come up with a great solution........ double dare! :D

mizgeorge
18-02-2012, 11:11 AM
what mystifies me on this one is why it's SO much cheaper to buy a kit (with yet more unwanted mandrels) than it is to buy individual discs anywhere (including from the US).

I also wish we could get some of the in between grades.

Dennis
18-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I should just like to add some thoughts on radial disks:

1. I think Sutton Tools would negotiate a better price on postage. If you don’t ask you don’t get.
2. They do list six grades and I find the orange, followed by the green, give a super lustrous finish.
3. I tend to mount four, rather than three on my mandrel and suspect they wear more slowly like that.
4. The ones listed by the woodpecker company are by 3M; are they any better?
5. I just wonder what the really big ones would be like on a lathe?

Dennis.

ps_bond
18-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I've got a number of 3M radial discs in 3/4", 9/16" (I think? Smaller than the 3/4") and 3". I use 4 discs on a mandrel with the small ones, while the 3" ones are grouped in 6. I've been trying 6 of the small discs in pink/pumice grade, but I think that's too many - it feels unwieldy by comparison. Can't fault them, although if I go to town with the really coarse grades it can take some work to get the swirl marks out afterwards. Pretty good on firestain though.

art925
18-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Do you think it possible you could stock radial discs individually without the mandrel, Having just been mugged by Suttons for six of the buggers at 95 pence each ( which is fine) but 6 pounds postage for an envelope which arrived with a 78 pence stamp!!!!! might be nice to be able to buy them from my preferred supplier i.e Cooksons but not in packs of assorted colours and not for 5 quid for three on a mandrel.

Radial discs without mandrel, one euro each, not 3M brand, Hatho, which I think is German, although I suspect they are all 3M rebranded. Let me know if I can pop some in an envelope for you...

Tabby66
18-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Hi Kwant,
Have you tried Walshes (HS Walsh), they seem to have got there delivery times sorted and reasonabley priced!! Euromounts is worth a look too, I haven't checked radial discs but have bought from each recently and been very happy.
Best wishes,
Tabby x

Kwant
20-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks Art925 I may well take you up on that offer :0)