PDA

View Full Version : Advice if possible

bashingmetal
17-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi

I was looking for advice if possible? I want to do some butterflies on 1mm sterlng sheet with lots of piercing designs to use for various necklaces rings etc. Whats involved with casting them so I can make them in different sizes and have them cast?

Is it something that is very expensive or would I be better making them all individually as I think they will be time consuming and I need quite a few just for one necklace.

If casting is the way to go do I make samples and send them to be cast? Where would I send them?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long list question:)

Goldsmith
17-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi

I was looking for advice if possible? I want to do some butterflies on 1mm sterlng sheet with lots of piercing designs to use for various necklaces rings etc. Whats involved with casting them so I can make them in different sizes and have them cast?

Is it something that is very expensive or would I be better making them all individually as I think they will be time consuming and I need quite a few just for one necklace.

If casting is the way to go do I make samples and send them to be cast? Where would I send them?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long list question:)

Hi there,
Firstly castings of butterflies will need a lot of work to make them look as good as pierced originals, but it can be done. You do not say what area you are based, but if it's near London then West One Casters in Hatton Garden will do the work well, they will need a pattern to cast from though but you could pierce the pattern butterfly from copper. I would make the pierced pattern from at least 1.2mm. thick sheet to allow for casting shrinkage if you wish the castings to be approx 1mm. thick. After you have made the pattern, the caster will charge you for making a mold from your pattern, then they will charge you for the silver used in casting plus a unit price for the labour.
I have made dozens of pierced butterflies over time, so please ask if I can give any advice.
James

bashingmetal
17-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your advice James. I wondered if the piercing would be a problem especially as it is very fine! What about buttons could I just literally send an actual button to be cast in different sizes?

Thanks jo

Goldsmith
17-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your advice James. I wondered if the piercing would be a problem especially as it is very fine! What about buttons could I just literally send an actual button to be cast in different sizes?

Thanks jo

Casting fine piercings will never be perfect there will almost always be areas that will need cleaning with a file. If you sent a caster a button and asked for different sizes of the same thing, the caster would probably get someone else to make the patterns and charge you for their work. There are ways that casting waxes can be cut by CAD/CAM machines from a computer image, but this process costs, which is alright if you intend manufacturing multiples of the same items.
James