PDA

View Full Version : Metal Barrelling Machine

Muggins2003
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi! I am relatively new to jewellery making but have caught the bug, so every family member has bought me tools and books for Christmas and my birthday. I was very luck to receive a barrelling maching (with shots and detergent) from Cookson Gold but I'm a little uncertain what I can use it with. A book I am currently reading suggests that flat items should not be used in the tumbler. Given I have spend hours designing and making the pieces, I'm scared that the tumbler will wreck them!

I would hugely appreciate a rough guide as to what I can put in.

Many thanks!!!

caroleallen
11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about flat pieces - they should be fine. The tumbler won't give you a mirror shine though, so is best for pieces with texture.

Dennis
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
As Carole says it will be particularly good for pieces with surface detail and also for recesses which rotary tools can't reach. It is helpful to have stainless steel shot, so that you don't need to take precautions against rusting. Also mixed shot, made up of balls satellites and needles does best.
The minus side is that needles, particularly if very sharp tend to leave minute pinpricks on flat surfaces, and sometimes get stuck in recesses or in chains. There is quite a lot on this if you use the search box above. Regards, Dennis.

charlene
17-02-2012, 02:36 PM
As Carole says it will be particularly good for pieces with surface detail and also for recesses which rotary tools can't reach. It is helpful to have stainless steel shot, so that you don't need to take precautions against rusting. Also mixed shot, made up of balls satellites and needles does best.
The minus side is that needles, particularly if very sharp tend to leave minute pinpricks on flat surfaces, and sometimes get stuck in recesses or in chains. There is quite a lot on this if you use the search box above. Regards, Dennis.

Never ever put chain in a tumbler, ever! It chews it up and spits it out
I put everything (except chain ) in my barrelling machine
You will get a high polish and it softens textures and edges.

mizgeorge
17-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I have to disagree. I tumble chains on a daily basis.

lilia
18-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I have to disagree. I tumble chains on a daily basis.

I agree with George, I put chains in every day, different sorts of chains - thin necklace ones, thick belcher ones and everything in between - they come out very shiny and beautiful. What you need to do to the thin ones though, is string them on a piece of thin wire (silver or gold) so you only have short ends hanging - that way they are not going to get tangled.

art925
18-02-2012, 06:00 PM
What you need to do to the thin ones though, is string them on a piece of thin wire (silver or gold) so you only have short ends hanging - that way they are not going to get tangled. Good tip!!