PDA

View Full Version : Setting a rectangular step cut citrine.

lynseysorefingers
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Ok, so I was on here last week looking for advice on cuttin a bull stick/scorper to set a citrine in a setting I had made. I had made the setting tapered, going by the instructions I saw in 'the ring book' by jinks McGrath. The only problem is the book didn't explain the full formula for the setting. As a result, I found the setting too tapered as needless to say, I'm starting it again. :'(
I'm sure I found something on the Internet that explained the formula but I havn't been able to find it.......maybe I was dreaming!

Any enlightenment on this would be great. I'll try and get a picture and measurements if that helps!! Just check. It's not a step cut! Size is 10mm x14mm and the height is 6mm

Dennis
07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Linsey, there is no mystery about this. You simply start by drawing one side of the stone and then draw a cone such as appeals to your eye. Where the lines meet below you stab in your compass.

Then you draw two arcs and continue as instructed. To keep distances constant, it is worth having as many dividers already set, as there are equal sides to your stone.

I would suggest you make your initial template out of thin card /postcard, glued with Pritt and when you are pleased with it, flatten it again and transfer it to your metal.

You have to be pretty clever to get this perfect, so I must confess that at the end I improve it in a collet plate. Dennis.