PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Silver

art925
31-01-2012, 11:25 AM
This weekend a lady came to the shop with a request that I recycle her old plain linked 925 chain into a new bracelet It weighs about 12 grams. The thing is she would like the final piece to be stamped and hallmarked. So I have no will to remove all the soldered areas of her linked chain, what else can I do.

Thanks
Les

Dennis
31-01-2012, 12:24 PM
? Send it for assay without altering it first. If it is satisfactory retain as much of the old chain as you need. If necessary remove any badly soldered links and re-join it. Then add a new fastener, or re-use the old one.

The bracelets I have made ended up between 19 and 22 cm long, but people vary in how loose they like them. It is helpful to add 5-6cm of thin chain as a safety chain across the gap, in case it comes undone in use. This also supports the bracelet on the wrist while doing it up with one hand. Dennis.

art925
01-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Sorry Dennis, this is a fantastic response to my question, but my explanation was incorrect...She wants me to make a slave bangle, so I need to melt the metal down. My only thought is to take eual parts of the chain, add some pure silver in differing amounts and have them tested to see which comes out at 925 or just above, then scale it up, would this deal with the solder contamination?

Many thanks again in advance.
Lesley

mizgeorge
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
If I'm honest, with silver (and so little at that), I'd just bung it in the scrap pot and make a new one from clean wire. It'll get scrapped (and therefore recycled) before long, so it's not unethical, and a great deal less faffing around.

If it's a sentimental value thing, I'd probably just throw a gram or so of fine silver in and hope for the best. If it came out lower than 925, I'd have it marked 850 and explain why.

art925
01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
If it's a sentimental value thing, I'd probably just throw a gram or so of fine silver in and hope for the best. If it came out lower than 925, I'd have it marked 850 and explain why.

I think I'll play it safe with 2.5 grams, thats about 20% of the total so should take in the solder. It's amazing how a cup of tea makes everything seem simple. Thanks G & D

Les