PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference???

amazingbabe
17-08-2009, 09:22 PM
hello just wondering is there a difference between soldering and fusing silver

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 09:23 PM
My understanding from the fine silver 'mob' is that you fuse fine silver using just heat - no solder required.

I'm sure they'll appear to explain further...

caroleallen
17-08-2009, 09:27 PM
That's right. Fusing is where you heat the metal until it gets hot enough to fuse another piece to it. Soldering is where you use solder to do the same thing. Argentium silver fuses really well. It's easier if you can fuse as you don't risk the solder running when you make another join and you don't have solder lines showing.

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree about Argentium, and of course fine silver is often fused.

I've watched several attempts at fusing sterling rings (I think they were looking for an organic look ;)) and was not very impressed!

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes - I'm a fuser! I only work with fine silver...and I only fuse it! I consider it an exercise in 'controlled melting' and it is all down to split second timing or you are into complete 'meltdown'!! It has taken me about a year to get really confident with what I am doing and I still think of it as magic! When I consider what you have to do with sterling silver...I used to HATE all the messing about pickling between every action - but with fine silver fusing the metal is bright and shiny and ready for the next action the moment you quench it ...no chemicals...no time wasted waiting for the black to go away...no breaking of the magic spell!! I've just recently started to fuse ring liners for use with pmc. It has taken me a while to get the hang of it and get the technique and timing right but I am getting there...no irreparable damage yet!! I also want to try to do chain maille - fusing all the rings closed but that is proving to be impossible at the moment...you have to watch everything so closely or you can acidently melt rings adjacent to the one you are trying to fuse...It's all down to technique in the end! Of course it does have its limitations...and the time will come when I will have to get back into doing some soldering...but I'll do it with a heavy heart!!

MuranoSilver
17-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I think you need a T-shirt slogan Barbara
perhaps "Fusers do it until they melt!"
(I'll fetch me coat....)
nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I love it!! I would wear it with pride!!!:rofl:

caroleallen
18-08-2009, 07:09 AM
If you like fine silver, you'll love Argentium. It's soft like fine but when you harden it in the oven after you've finished, it becomes as hard as sterling. It also doesn't firestain and the more you heat it the whiter it gets. Fusing is a doddle. The only problem with it is, it's like gold-dust! Cooksons are the only suppliers and they can't keep up with demand.