PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cob Cabs.

Dennis
17-01-2012, 08:01 AM
When I saw these bi-colour tourmalines at Marcus McCallum, I just could not resist buying them for earrings. Even the price did not put me off. Here they are in my first picture and you will notice that I have already marked one with a label. I shall scribe a mark inside the corresponding setting, because no two bezels are alike.

They are for someone who does not wear drops, only studs, so what would you have done with them? Plain is boring, so for me they suggested an organic form, maybe corn cobs. Am I the McGonagall of design?

No matter; if the recipient does not like them it would be easy to trim the offending bits.

‘Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed.’ William McGonagall on the ‘The Tay Bridge Disaster’ 1879.

Postscript: Some thought they looked like ducks, others like shoes, but they are quite bold looking when worn. Dennis.

caroleallen
17-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Very sweet Dennis, though they look like little dolphins to me.

mizgeorge
17-01-2012, 08:50 AM
As someone else who can only wear studs now, I think they're lovely :)

I'm a bit of a sucker for nice tourmalines, and the colour on these is gorgeous.

Kathryn Harrison
17-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I saw corn but then after reading Carole's comment dolphins! I think they are sweet though.

Kwant
17-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Very nice stones Dennis, I like George, am also a fan of tourmalines and I have not to date seen that particular colour combination. I looked on the M.McCallum website and he does have some other lovely stones, but sadly no prices and to have to enquire about each stone you are interested in by way of a form seems a bit of a faff.

LydiaNiz
17-01-2012, 10:33 PM
beautiful Dennis - really love the settings. Also love your box too - I've been having a packaging drool week - the Mr is a photographer and has had me looking at roughly 3 zillion different box types *is a bit square eyed*

Dennis
18-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments:

Carole and Kathryn, I still see them as ducks. I hope you will enjoy being a student, Carole, That course looks the real McCoy.
George, about dangly earrings, is it that as in this case, necks get shorter?
Cornelius, yes I hate the idea of getting stones online. In this case Wards was my first port of call, but as usual they were pretty low on anything interesting by September
Lydia, That box was no packaging, but a dust collector bought at a craft fair and usually kept in a cupboard. You will note that recently I have put props in my photos rather than have them like pages from a catalogue.

Regards, Dennis.

mizgeorge
18-01-2012, 11:28 AM
LOL Dennis - my neck was never exactly swan-like to start with, but unfortunately I can't wear dangles any more because they irritate the scar tissue left after my parotidectomy a couple of years ago. Lots of scope for studs though, and I do enjoy making them :)

Of course, this has all made me go and look at Marcus McCallum's site. Some very nice stones there. I'm almost glad I'm out in the sticks now!

little rabbit
19-01-2012, 12:01 PM
i love the earrings, to me, they look like too diving penguins. :-)

sonia
19-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Beautiful stones and settings Dennis as always. Have to agree with Carole about the dolphins.

Sonia
x

Dennis
19-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Thank you Margaret, thank you Sonia, hows the bike? Dennis.

sonia
19-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Dennis

It is currently overwintering in a client's warehouse while we have building work done. Can't wait to get it back.

Sonia
x

Wallace
20-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Dennis

the earrings remind me of a dolphin too. They are really lovely - the tourmaline is very nice too. Pink and black with a high lustre, I can see why you had to get them. It is lovely to see studs. Makes me want to be a little more creative.