PDA

View Full Version : torches for delft clay casting

LydiaNiz
14-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Has anyone had good results with delft clay kits using hand torches?
I've got the Max flame torch - this one, (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Max-Flame-Butane-Hand-Torch-prcode-999-955B) and i've used DIY butane/propane torches before, although have had some alarming flaring (I once set fire to the 200 year old building's wall where my studio is, let us not speak of it).
Is this going to cut the mustard? 'proper' torches are not an option for me right now, and I may as well not open the package if I'm not going to have the oomph to do it. I've happily melted silver in charcoal before (and had a charcoal brick explode right next to my head = one burst eardrum, I'm accident prone) but don't know if the heat is sustainable enough for pouring.
I've got the square scorifiers and crucible tongs that cooksons sell.
All tips/help/advice appreciated.
Thanks

mizgeorge
14-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I would say not.

If you want to melt well enough to cast, even quite a small quantity, I think you need a minimum of a go system type butane torch, or a rothenburger that screws diretctly to a MAPP type cannister. Both can usually be found in the plumbing supplies part of a DIY store, and neither is at all expensive.

Sheltie
17-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I can say the Go system works, but as the canister empties it seems to lose heat. So go for the larger ones. Some of the screw top parts are better than others so look for the highest rated ones. Then you should have no issues