PDA

View Full Version : Metal clay engraving - help please

simone
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I'm just starting out with metal clay, i've tried a few needle tools to engrave soft and dried clay and also the letter kit that you press into the soft clay, unfortunately I don't have the neatest hand-writing to begin with and the results have all been pretty bad. So I was looking at alternatives and have come up with the Dremel Engraver or using a metal stamping set on fired clay - I was wondering if anyone has used either of these and could advise me.

Many thanks,

Simone - in Sunny Essex

Dennis
10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Simone,
I don't do clay, so I can't comment on stamping it after firing, but the engraver works by means of a stubby point with adjustable vibrations. This means that it relies heavily on your ability to write neatly with it while it is shaking in your hand an requires some practice. However on a flat surface it could also be used to fill in the lettering of a stencil, provided the letters are not too small for the broad short point. Regards, Dennis.

simone
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks Dennis - yup guess I'd still need neater hand-writing so the Dremel probably isn't the best option.
Which leaves me with stamping after firing using metal stamps or plastic or rubber stamping in the wet clay - hhmmm.

pmcdesigns
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Simone

Just a thought - how about copying some nice written text (using either someone else's handwriting - a friend or computer generated) onto the hard clay in pencil. I've done patterns this way using tracing paper onto the dry clay and then used a needle:) tool or pen scriber to etch over the pencil lines.

Lesley

simone
10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Lesley,

I have some tracing paper - going to give that a try!

Many thanks,

Simone

Melanie De Castro Pugh
13-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I have some old lead type that looks great pressed into wet clay, you can mix it up for a fun effect!
I also use small rubber stamps on metal to give a guideline for engraving or piercing with a permanent ink pad.
Many ways to swing a cat!
I had the Dremel engraving tool for a while, it worked quite well on slate but I found it a bit "spidery" on metal.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

trilogyx3
22-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi Simone i'm in the same boat as you at the moment but have just been reading up on the Alphadisc which is a round disc and the set comes with different font letters or sizes in both upper and lower case, a bit pricey though (roughly £60 for a kit) so I'd think hard before you invest.

Good luck

Lisa

Dennis
23-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I had the Dremel engraving tool for a while, it worked quite well on slate but I found it a bit "spidery" on metal. Melaniehttp://www.spinysharklythings.com

If you find your Dremel spidery, it can be quite decorative to double up, or go over the writing again. You might also turn up the vibrations. However my main use is to sign and date things which are not being hallmarked. Dennis.

Melanie De Castro Pugh
23-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks Dennis, I passed it on and am getting much tidier results with engraving burrs on the Flexshaft! Hubby wants to have a go at glass engraving now...

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com