PDA

View Full Version : Gold-looking fashion jewellery

littlegreenstone
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi there,

After many hours of research, asking friends, etc I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me with my question (please)!

I'd like to find out how high-street shops that sell jewellery (such as Topshop, Warehouse, H&M & even Primark) make gold jewellery? Obviously it's not made from solid gold (as gold-looking necklaces can be bought very cheaply, at anything from £3 - £20), and I can't imagine it's even plated for that price. Gold-looking jewellery from these shops sometimes loses its colour after a while, and can leave a greenish/blackish smudge against the skin when it wears away. I can't afford to make solid gold or gold plated pieces at the moment, due to the quantity & large size of the pieces (& my bank balance!), so I need to find out how I can get gold-looking jewellery! I've thought about using copper or brass, but the gold colour is very important.

Is it some kind of paint, or a chemical reaction?

I'd really appreciate any help on this, as I'm in need of a solution asap!!

Thanks,

J

Kwant
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Perhaps you could do some research on something known as "gilding metal" which is a form of brass, which is very 'golden"

caroleallen
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
But what would be the point of making such jewellery when the Chinese can do it so much better and so much cheaper. If that's the sort of thing you want to sell, just buy it from them and flog it.

littlegreenstone
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Perhaps you could do some research on something known as "gilding metal" which is a form of brass, which is very 'golden"

Thanks very much for suggesting this, I'll have a look into it & see how easily I'll be able to work with it :)

littlegreenstone
08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
But what would be the point of making such jewellery when the Chinese can do it so much better and so much cheaper. If that's the sort of thing you want to sell, just buy it from them and flog it.

That's not the sort of thing I'm making/doing. I'm taking part in a catwalk show featuring large metal body pieces, head dresses & jewellery that I've designed. I can't afford to make so many large pieces in the metal (gold) I'd of course like them to be in. Customers will then be able to commission me to make them in gold/gold plated or silver. Thanks for getting in touch though.

Goldsmith
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I agree with Carole, why bother trying to compete with the stuff turned out by children working for nothing in far and middle eastern cellar workshops. If you are a jewellery making beginner, make less and use precious metals that you can afford, silver is reasonably priced and can be flash gold plated, and if the plating wears off the wearer won't get green skin marks.
Even gilding metal will leave skin stains unless it is laquered or plated, although it does polish up like 9ct. gold.
James

littlegreenstone
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I agree with Carole, why bother trying to compete with the stuff turned out by children working for nothing in far and middle eastern cellar workshops. If you are a jewellery making beginner, make less and use precious metals that you can afford, silver is reasonably priced and can be flash gold plated, and if the plating wears off the wearer won't get green skin marks.
Even gilding metal will leave skin stains unless it is laquered or plated, although it does polish up like 9ct. gold.
James

I'm not trying to compete with what China & their children can make for next to nothing... The number of pieces I'm making are not multiples of the same design, but individual pieces for 7 different models to wear. The larger pieces in particular I cannot afford to make even in silver. These are purely high-fashion exhibition/catwalk pieces, that will not be worn for longer than a few minutes so it doesn't matter if they leave the green skin mark. Thank you for your suggestions - the gilding metal is sounding like the way to go.
Making and designing jewellery is what I'm here for, not for buying cheap jewellery from China & selling it on!!

Goldsmith
08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Sorry that I misunderstood what you were intending to make. I do a lot of pierced work and a few years ago I pierced some large shaped copper pieces for a fashion jewellery designer friend, these were like metal scarves and the finish she applied after I had pierced and shaped the sections was just gold varnish which we obtained from Tiranti, see; http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Content=Gilt+Finishes +%26+Varnishes+-+Gilt+%2F+Wax+Finishes+%26+Patination+-+Restoration+%26+Finishing&Subcategory=66&Subdivision=270
They looked good on the day I was told. This may be a way to solve your problem.
James

caroleallen
08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
A cheaper and lighter metal would be aluminium. You could always use anodised and dye it gold coloured. A huge sheet would cost less than a tenner and your models wouldn't end up Shrek-coloured!

LydiaNiz
09-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I love brass as an alternative.
It can look beautifully gold, and is quite interesting to fiddle with oxidising on it too.
Don't know if you can see these cuffs I made, but they are brass and have a lovely warm look

Dennis
09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
The hair helps of course, Lydia.
Brass solders well with silver solder and easy solder would be sufficient. One problem with brass is its tendency to tarnish, but by spraying the finished article with clear lacquer from a can, you can also preserve the colour and reduce the dazzle in stage lighting. Alternatively for the full bling, it can be polished with Renaissance Wax. Dennis.

Melanie De Castro Pugh
13-01-2012, 04:26 PM
I have found that brushing copper with brass wire brushes makes them look very gold, if that's any help?

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

zjavvobw
30-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that advice Melanie, I'll give it a try as I'm looking to do the same thing.