PDA

View Full Version : Stud Earrings

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I feel like a real dumbo asking this but I've only ever made drop earrings before and I thought I ought to do some studs. So... what is the usual hole diameter in butterflies? :confused:

MuranoSilver
17-08-2009, 04:40 PM
0.8mm wire should fit :)

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Brill - thanks Nic. Got loads of that diameter so don't need to get anything special in!

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 04:46 PM
0.8 - and fully hard if possible. It's really annoying when earposts bend!

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 04:48 PM
0.8 - and fully hard if possible. It's really annoying when earposts bend!
Cheers, George - hadn't thought of that but you're quite right

:ta: guys

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 04:52 PM
noob question, do you buy it hard or make it hard?

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Either Su'.
I tend to keep a reel of fully hard .8 on hand specifically for making earposts and earwires, but you can work harden half hard OK if necessary. It's asking quite a lot to get soft to hard without drawing it down though.

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Just to throw my usual fly into the ointment..... I don't wear posts now. I spent so many years of my life without earrings, as my babes tended to try to rip them out of my ears, that when I try to get a 0.8mm wire in now I feel like I am giving birth through my earlobes!! Has anyone tried posts with 0.7? I wear my earrings on hooks made from 0.7 Argentium wires as this is supposed to be harder than sterling. I haven't yet worked up the courage to try to solder Argentium onto anything!! ...I'm waiting for others to try it and tell me how to do it without the crazy things that hot Argentium is supposed to do!!=:-O

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Well - I'm ordering tomorrow so I might be persuaded to give Argentinium a go.

Know what you mean about studs - for the same reason I haven't worn them for years either. But if the butterfly hole is 0.8mm, using 0.7mm ain't gonna work, is it?

On a side note - I haven't worn perfum for years either. Tom (number one son was hyperactive and used to go loopy with artificial smells - M&S was a nightmare). Today, I oiked out all my perfume bottles - about 40 of em - and squished on my Dioressence (all time fave). It was actually still okay - hadn't turned to alcohol or anything.

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 06:11 PM
How strange...I haven't worn perfume since 1982 when I was carrying my first... My Mum used to wear Tweed and I used to baulk and heave whenever I went anywhere near her!! I never was able to smell perfume without getting nauseous again. Even now - I have to be very picky with washing liquids...air freshners are banned and anyone that DARES to buy a spray deodorant or body spray only gets it by me once and then it has to go!!! Strangely I don't seem to have a problem with essential oils. Aren't bodies odd things??!!:-D...or mine is anyway!!:D

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Either Su'.
I tend to keep a reel of fully hard .8 on hand specifically for making earposts and earwires, but you can work harden half hard OK if necessary. It's asking quite a lot to get soft to hard without drawing it down though.

Ty george :D

ben b
17-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Matp85
17-08-2009, 08:03 PM
i always use side cutters at a slight angle making a groove. But make sure you have left enough for the butterfly to grip onto!

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I use an old pair of wire strippers that happen to be exactly the right size!

caroleallen
17-08-2009, 09:34 PM
You can harden soft wire by burnishing it, twisting it or tumbling it.

MuranoSilver
17-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I normally rotate it 90 degrees in one direction and then back again (up the wire)
another benefit is it really tests that solder join ;)
Nic x

Ominicci
18-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I normally burnish by putting the wire down on the bench peg with the stud over the side and gently rolling the stud along the side of the peg with left ahnd and burnish with right hand. It makes the post nice and shiny too. I don't put a groove in my posts as lots of bought earrings I have don't have them. If the butterfly is a bit loose then I take the butterfly off the earring and just press the wings together hard, with my teeth normally (for my own personal wear earrings!) but I suppose you could do it with pliers.